. . .When Brendan was born, Shaun and I went through our usual dilemma of picking a name we both like. I told Shaun I wouldn't leave he hospital till we had a name on the birth certificate. I was thinking a week in the hospital would be great. Well, it soon became apparent that maybe I'd never go home, so home we went without a name. While we mulled over names --remember this is our 8th child -- Shaun started referring to him as Charlie Brown, or for short, Charlie. At the 11th hour, (which is day 10), when the Health Dept. threatens to put "Baby Boy Peck" on the birth certificate, we decided on the name Brendan. We both like the name, and I love the name, but by then "Charlie" had stuck. All the kids call him Charlie, his cousins call him Charlie, but his mom still calls him Brendan, and insisted he go by Brendan at school to avoid confusion (which now only causes more confusion ;). . .
So, Brendan's quiet recuperation day turned into one busy day. First of all, it was Monday--the busiest day in the hospital. Next, ENT's were here by 7 a.m. (as usual) checking for sinus drainage and asking about the packing in his nose. (I've learned to be out of bed by then!)
Nurse change is at 7 a.m. and they make the rounds and their morning assessments. Neurosurgery came to check at 9 a.m. and we discussed Brendan's stiff neck, light sensitivity, and noise sensitivity. Apparently these are all symptoms of meningitis, but instead of being a bacterial meningitis, the swelling of the brain lining is a chemical meningitis, and typical of this surgery. So Brendan kept a cloth over his eyes to block the light all day and shushed us when the talking in the room got too loud.
![]() |
| Brendan likes it quiet and dark. |
![]() |
| Monitor for the cerebrospinal fluid. It has to be adjusted every 15 minutes to keep a continuous flow of 10 "somethings" every hour. |
Up to this point after surgery, Brendan hasn't wanted to move at all. Yesterday, the nurses and doctors knew that he had to be moving in order to prevent bedsores and blood clots. He was rolled from his right side to his left side every few hours. (Somehow he usually ended up on his back shortly afterwards.) So a pump was hooked up to the bed that inflates different parts of the mattress so the pressure points are constantly changing. Then they put cuffs on his legs that inflate and deflate to keep the blood in his legs circulating to avoid blood clots. This really irritated Brendan. Every time the cuffs would inflate and squeeze his legs, it hurt his head. He complained to the nurse until she finally called the PA and she personally came in to tell him that he had to keep them on.
Oncology came in shortly after neurosurgery and we discussed radiation simulation and planning meeting times, and how chemotherapy would coordinate with that. Nothing will be decided until the neurosurgery doctors give the all clear on his recovery from brain surgery. He needs to heal before he starts the next battle.
![]() |
| Pumps for the bed and the cuffs on his legs |
![]() |
| Brendan's food in an IV |
The good news today is that he slept really, really well last night. A deep, comfortable (as it gets) sleep where he didn't awaken every time there was a noise or movement in the room. His pain medicine seems to be handling his pain now, and he is taking less and less every day. So far this morning, the light isn't bothering his eyes so much either. So here's to a good day!






Sweet boy!!! Sending prayers for a good day for you all! We are always thinking of you guys! Xoxo - Staci
ReplyDeleteThank you for sharing your wonderful little patient with us. We have him and your family in our hearts and we love you!
ReplyDeleteI had meningitis at 18 years old, and man it was painful. Charlie's must feel like that times 1000. So tell him I have at least a 1/1000th empathy!! The headache is so horrendous, the light sensitivity is crazy (I could not get it dark enough) and the nausea and pukefest..oof. I thought after his surgery when they put the csf tube in, "Dang. That's going to be like meningitis. He's going to have the worst headache of his life, x1000!" My heart goes out to him, since I have an inkling of an idea of just how bad he hurts. I love you guys so much and pray for Charlie's head to heal fast. I love to hear his pain is being managed. Pain makes me very irritable and grumpy. I can only imagine how high his pain was yesterday. I also put Charlie's, and your family's names in the temple as well as the doctors' in Friday night. Hugs and love. Charlie, we are your warriors, fighting in spirit for you. You are strong, and being held up by legions of angels.
ReplyDeleteOh! My heart aches for him and for you. I remember all too well. I now it's nice to have him sleep (deep and comfortable) but keep an eye on his breathing during that deep sleep. You will know if things are okay. Besides all the monitors and the 'brain drain' as we called it - you will know if things are alright by his breathing. Sending a big hug yoru way. You are doing fabulous!! (Tammy Selley)
ReplyDeleteBrendan - Try to keep up the happy thoughts. Try and think of all the things you love. It will help the time to pass by. I am sorry about the pressure cuffs, I had to wear them as well and they get really annoying. I hope you know that your classmates are thinking about you as well as I am. I hope all continues to go well. My heart and thoughts are with you and your family. Mrs. Jenson
ReplyDelete