Wednesday, October 28, 2015

All Smiles!

What an incredible difference a day makes! We feel your prayers and they have made all the difference today.  I wish I had pictures of Brendan this morning, but the fact is that I didn't want to take any pictures of him that looked as sad and hurting as he was.  So now I don't have any before pictures -- which I would have loved to show you the transformation!!

The change started slowly. This morning he just begged to be left alone to sleep.  The occupational therapist came and stretched his arms, but his head hurt so much he didn't want to do anything else.  Later, the physical therapist came and talked him into sitting up for just 30 seconds.  That started something.

Meanwhile, Seth Clawson had come to visit, and Brendan really perked up when he had a friend to talk to.  Pretty soon they were playing the ukulele and laughing about school.  

 When the eye doctor came to check his vision, he didn't complain once. I began to think we would keep Seth here permanently.
 After waiting for several days, Brendan finally got his BYU blanket.  He earned it by completing all of his goals for the day.  But it happened to be the day of the BYU game and there were no more BYU blankets to be had in the hospital.  So his nurse finally got one and brought it to him today!
 Brendan was doing so well, that i snuck away to do some laundry.  Besides, with Brendan up and about he needs some clothes finally!

Coming down the hall in E pod where we currently reside.
 Still feeling well, Brendan opened a few presents that arrived yesterday when he was still sedated.  Check out this cool shirt -- it has zippers in the front so he can get chemo treatments in his port without having to take off his shirt.  Someone knows what they are doing. . .
 Several new teams made friends with Brendan today.  He had all of them laughing.  Infectious disease control, speech therapy, educational services, and infectious disease control team again.  One of the questions they had for Brendan was, "Have you been in the hospital before now?"  Brendan's answer, "Yes, 11 years ago."
 Everyone is happy that Brendan has responded so quickly to the antibiotics.  All meningitis symptoms have subsided this evening.  See?  The lights are on!  We were cautioned that symptoms may return and they are still trying to narrow down where and what the infection is.  So far, the spinal fluid culture has not grown anything.  They are still culturing it out, but may have to do an MRI to see if the fluid surrounding the spinal column is infected.  Still lots of unknowns. . .
Checking the lumbar puncture site.
We also met with dietetics as well.  I thought they would be all about pushing veggies, but no, they were all about calories, calories, and more calories. 
 All smiles tonight!

Brendan up in a chair?  His rehab team would be so proud!
 It is now almost 10 p.m. and I am having to kick Sarah out for the night so Brendan will stop laughing with her and go to sleep.  They've been watching Studio C and laughing about everything.  Brendan was supposed to take a nap this afternoon, but every time we settled him down a new team came in to check on him.  Here's to a good night!

6 comments:

  1. Yay Brendan!!!!! Keep it up! We love to see the pictures of Brendan's smiles!! Love his sweet sense of humor! Good job Sarah and Kerry keeping him going! We continue our prayers! Xoxo -Jill

    ReplyDelete
  2. To the Peck Family: this post made my day! I have been following your blog along with many others. I was just released from the hospital for some serious complications after giving birth. Charlie has been a source of strength & inspiration for me through my own crisis. His story inspired me during some of my hardest, painful moments. If an amazing 11 year old could show such strength & grace, I could too. Please let him know what an example of he is. Your family's faith & testimony are spot on! I know Charlie has had some heart wrenching battles already, and will face more on his journey. I have been praying for him and your family. I know we are not asked to bear these burdens alone- we are supported by angels, family members who are no longer with us on Earth, the Holy Ghost, and of course our loving brother, Redeemer, & Savior.

    Love,
    Nicole Nielsen- Stacey Swan's sister (also known as Aunt Dacole)

    ReplyDelete
  3. YAY BRENDAN!!!!! I'd like to make a toast: Here's to good friends, ukuleles, awesome sisters, laughter, funny people sharing their talents on Studio C, great nurses that follow through with BYU blankets, a hilarious sense of humor, potato chips, and to having one of the best moms in the world!!! Life is good. Way to go, Brendan!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Excellent news!! He's the come back kid!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am so so so happy to see him up and moving and in a chair!! Smiling and laughing with a friend and his sister. Amazing news! I'm so glad there is improvement!!!

    ReplyDelete