Tuesday, October 27, 2015

"Drat!"

That was the word the neurosurgery PA said when she walked into the room to check on Brendan this morning.
Cleaning the cleave on his port line.

Brendan had a miserable night with a terrible headache that the pain meds wouldn't touch. And a stiff neck. And light hurts his eyes again, (he put his head under a towel to block out the light) and I had to take the clock off the wall again-- it's under my pillow.  (That's the understood sign now that noise is bothering him again.)
Disinfecting the port line connections and drawing blood for labs.

We floated all sorts of ideas around all night why this might be happening -- we overworked him yesterday with the radiation simulation and physical therapy . . he didn't get enough fluids to keep the pressure up in his brain. . .   his steroid taper ended yesterday morning (which could cause a return of symptoms) . . . but at least he doesn't have a fever. . .

Sarah: But now we're looking at an infection. He started fevering shortly after I arrived at about 8 am. Meningitis is a real risk. So we've done a few labs and are going to be doing a spinal fluid test soon, which Charlie will have to be sedated for.

I'm sure you can imagine, but the feeling that permeates the room when the PA walks in and says, "this does not look good," is heavy. At that point I started looking for my heart down somewhere around my ankles. I had just picked it up and put it back in place, more or less, when another big sigh and "drat" out of the PA sent it plummeting again. I'm learning that life with cancer is a constant roller coaster for the heart.

Kerry:  Word just came that the the LP (lumbar puncture) will be done at 12:30 p.m.  It will be a conscious sedation with versed so he won't remember what happened.  We didn't talk about this in the room because he gets anxious, but he knew something was up and mumbled, "What's going on?" when I came past his bed.  I told him and he wanted to know if it would hurt.  "No, they will put you out."  He felt just fine about that.  Blood work is coming back, urine sample just went out, and the LP will take up to 5 days to culture.  So they will probably start some strong antibiotics just as soon as he is done with the LP.

3 comments:

  1. That poor, sweet boy!! We are praying for him! Lots of thoughts, prayers, and hugs!!! Xoxo -The Lovelands

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh shoot, as soon as I read the first paragraph I said, "oh no, he has got meningitis." No, pain meds do not touch the headache, I literally thought my head would explode. I had sunglasses on and wore 3 of my mom's heaviest bath towels around my head to stop light and sound. I'm glad the IV antibiotics are on their way. Our prayers will double. He's so lucky to be sedated for the lumbar puncture. I had 2 unsedated and... I'm really glad they are using Versed. Sending many prayers. Thank you for keeping us informed, Brendan is a beautiful soul and his story is important.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We, of course, will continue praying. Not being familiar with this process, and seeing such improvement, I just expected him to be getting better and better each day until he started chemo and radiation. So this is an unexpected post. Thank you so much for keeping us informed, and letting us live each day with you. We love you, and are thinking of you always. Fasting and prayers coming your way from Paradise!!! Hang in there, Brendan...

    ReplyDelete