Today I transcribed the kids memories that they gave at Brendan's funeral. Here are their stories, and the rest of the Life Sketch I gave of what Brendan learned.
Kerry:
Kerry:
We have been so
amazed at the lessons Brendan learned, and through him, what we were able
to learn. We realized that all this pain and suffering really
refines and strengthens people. It purifies us. And we saw this
with Brendan. There were a couple things that I really noticed Brendan learned and one was empathy. One day we were
sitting in the RTU (Rapid Treatment Unit, I think) and he was going
to be getting 4 bone marrow aspirates – two in the front of his
hips and two in the back – and there was a baby crying across the
hallway. He finally turned to me and said, “Mom, I can't stand
this! I just want to go hold that baby and make it feel better!”
And I shook my head and said, “Yes, I know.” That was so hard
for him to endure – hearing other babies cry. And if anyone else
he heard had surgery or had another procedure that needed to be done,
he was extremely empathetic to the pain and suffering that they were
going through.
Another thing that
Brendan really learned, and he taught us, was gratitude. It was
really amazing this last weekend, after he was Life Flighted to
Primary Children's Hospital in extreme pain, Sarah and I spent the
night with him in his room. We were trying to sleep and I kept
waking up because I heard Brendan speaking. I realized that every
time the nurse came in, he was thanking her for the work she was
doing and the help she was giving him. So he learned gratitude.
And the other thing
he learned and taught all of us was that families are forever. He
was so grateful, and told us many times, how grateful he was for the
temple. And that we could be together forever.
Chris:
I remember that
Charlie always, always wanted to take not just one of us, but all of
us outside to play games. It couldn't just be one of us, it had to
be all of us. One birthday we got him a baseball bat and took the
whole family to the park. And being in a large family, we were able
to play a whole game of baseball together. And just to see the smile
on Charlie's face. Just to have everyone together as a family. And
to feel that love and to be together doing something was his favorite
thing of all time. And I still feel that as we join together as a
family.
Landon:
A month or two
before Brendan died, we were lucky enough to go to a camp for kids
and their siblings who had cancer. And while we were there for a
week, they had a bunch of activities. High swings, zip lines and
challenges where you had to climb walls and do stuff-, dancing. But
Brendan didn't get up for any of that. He stayed in his wheel chair
the whole time. But the few time I saw him while he was watching
other kids go on the zip line or dancing or doing all that, he was
smiling, because everybody else was – smiling, laughing, doing,
having fun. What I found amazing was that he could find joy in their
enjoyment, find happiness in the fact that they were happy, and that
just always got me, especially recently. I just always thought “How
could he, with all these problems, ever find joy, especially when it
wasn't his own?” But he was always able to appreciate another
person's happiness. He's a great person.
Sarah:
So, some of you may
know, Charlie is a very competitive, and I have no idea where he got
that! Mom and I were in the hospital with him after his brain
surgery and for therapy they needed to make sure that all of his
cognitive function was still intact. They weren't sure if anything
had gotten messed up. So they would ask him questions, they would
run through tests, and one of the things they did was had all of us
play Blokus. It was his first time playing and he beat us all. And
he NEVER EVER let us live that down. So, some other members of the
family might be a little competitive, maybe, and I decided I would
teach him a game that I could win at. So I brought in Monopoly and
taught him how to play Monopoly, and I won the first couple of times.
But, he was also much better at math than me, so sometimes when I
needed to figure out the change, he would always keep me straight on
that. And that's when we knew that everything was fine after brain
surgery. He was OK there! So we played countless rounds of Monopoly
and pretended it was therapy. He would convince me to skip school
and stay in the hospital with him to play Monopoly.
Just a few weeks ago
I was headed out the door to go rock climbing, and he stopped me at
the door. I was on the way out, and he said, “Hey, you go rock
climbing all the time, you need to hang out with me!” So I said,
“Okay,” So I set down my rope and we played Monopoly and that was
the last time we played and he won. So, until we have a rematch he
still gets to hold Blokus AND Monopoly over my head.
Lindsay:
I realize that I
didn't really know Charlie until he got cancer. Like mom said, he
just kind of faded into the background a little bit. I am so
grateful for the opportunity that I really got to know Charlie. And
he taught me so much. And one of the best things he taught me was
serving others. He was so selfless. One experience that we had was
when he was doing chemo and he wasn't feeling well all the time, but
for Family Home Evening he wanted to go take treats to somebody else.
He always wanted to do stuff for someone else.
He would play with
my hair, because he knew that I liked that --if I rubbed his feet –
usually it was a two way deal! But he would always do something for
someone else. He would always come up and hug me if I was having a
bad day. And he would always reach out even when he was having his
own trials. I'm so grateful for his service and his selflessness.
Rachel:
Charlie taught me a
lot of things over the past 10 months, but one of them was to “Live
in the Moment.” And he taught me that a lot of ways, but one of
the ways I remember,-- and this was how it was before, but especially
after he was diagnosed – He had to have our full attention. We had
to be right there. If we were with him we had to be paying attention
to him. So I would be on my phone doing whatever and he would say,
“Rachel, are you texting? Really? Is the person you are texting
more important than me?” Or I would be like, “Charlie, I'm not
texting, I'm looking something up. And he would be like, “Really?
Is that more important?” And I'd always have to admit,“Well,
no.” So fine. And he would try to take my phone. And he did that
to all of us when we had our phones out. He did it to mom with her
laptop. “Is that more important?” It was just really good to
learn that it really isn't as important. And it is important to
spend time with your family and it's important to be “in the
moment” where you are and really appreciate those moments.
Maddy:
My favorite thing
about Charlie was that he was always so kind and compassionate to
everybody. Kind of like my mom was saying, whenever anybody else was
having any other problems even if he wasn't having the best day ever,
he would always take the time to make sure that we were ok, and that
we were having a good day because if we were happy, then he was
happy. And I always remember that if I was in a bad mood or I was
sad, he would always come up and give me a hug, even when I would
roll my eyes and say, “Ok, Charlie, whatever. . . If it makes you
happy.” It really touched me because he really was kind to
everybody else and he took the time to make sure I was happy. And
that was really special to me.
Loren:
There was about a
year of Charlie's life where he spent more time, more hours on the
trampoline behind our house than he did on solid ground. And I think
my siblings can attest to this, that if you were in eyeshot or
earshot, he would get you onto the tramp with him. You could not
hold out for very long.
After Jamie and I
had gone on one date, and it was our second date, we ended up in Avon
after our date and we were roasting marshmallows in the fire pit –
which is very close to the trampoline. Anyway, Jamie, and Charlie
and I ended up on the trampoline. And he interviewed us. He looked
at me and he looked at Jamie and he said, “Are you two in love?”
And on a second date there is no good answer to that! I thought it
was the older brothers job to make it awkward for the younger brother
during their dates. . .
Last year we
traveled to Oregon, and we had about three cars, and I drove one of
them. And Charlie always seemed to end up in my back seat. And I
was happy with that, because I'm the cool brother. And I had to
apologize to him, “Sorry, Charlie, we're listening to this chick
flick novel. Sorry. It won't last very long.” Anyway, one time
we were driving and he wouldn't be riding with us and he pulled me
aside and he said, “Loren, do not start that book without me!”




I love those memories! They made me smile and laugh! What a great kid and beautiful family. Thanks for sharing their thoughts :)
ReplyDeleteIt was a beautiful funeral! I love seeing your comments in writing. I didn't want to miss a thing of what was said. So thanks
ReplyDeletethank you for posting these - amazing what can be learned in such a short amount of time. love you all!
ReplyDeleteI just loved all the talks given at Charlie's funeral. It reminded me of one of my favorite chick flicks, Steel Magnolias - "laughter through tears is my favorite emotion."
ReplyDeleteIt was definitely a day of smiles, laughter, and tears. Just beautiful :)