Sunday, November 15, 2015

Being Normal. . .

Brendan: Today I played "Bounce Off" with Chris, watched "You're a Good Man, Charlie Brown," and went to church.  It's just good to be home.  I feel like I can breathe easier and relax now that I'm home.  Everyone's home and everything is familiar and fun.  It's great not to have doctors coming in, no IV fluids, no needles, no beeping machines.  I'm just so happy!  
Breakfast with the family.

Sarah made Dominican Spaghetti for lunch.
Maddy here. I figured I'd put my two cents in. Things have been so great with Charlie home for the weekend! It really brightens the house to have everyone together. Today was such a good day. Charlie wanted to go to church and made it through the entire three hours.  It was so fun for him to see all of his friends, who are very eager to see him as well. Although, I think this week they actually had a lesson in his Sunday school class. It has been so interesting to see him perk up when he's home. He's so full of energy, it's amazing. There is such a difference in his activity and his moods.  He's going to be starting Chemo this next week. For most of us here at home, we have a new trimester starting.
Awesome kendama skills!


Learning "Snoopy vs. the Red Baron"

Stairs are going to kill me one day. (says Brendan)  Mom says he's doing amazing when there's not a physical therapist around!
Fun with Legos and Bubba!
 Kerry:  I'm glad the kids filled in for me last night.  I was so tired and finally went to bed.  Sunday we saw huge leaps and bounds in Brendan's stamina and strength.  He didn't nap-- he just kept going and going, playing and playing, eating and eating.  So we didn't stop him.  He really was so happy to be home.

With the threat of snow coming Monday morning we debated heading back to Salt Lake Sunday night, but Brendan did not want to go!  He kept evading me when I would talk about getting packed.  (I realized if we were going to leave it would be up to me to pack his clothes and throw him into the car.)  With so much out of his control,  Brendan really wants to soak in every moment he can at home.  He's resigned himself to chemo this week, and daily radiation.  He's come to realize he has to do this -- even if he doesn't want to.  But home is his space -- he can be himself and not have to think about having cancer.   How can I take him away from that. . .even a few hours early?



3 comments:

  1. What a relaxing, wonderful day...I'm glad you didn't cut it short, but rather went to bed, and slept in your own comfy bed for one more night. Brendan, you look strong! Good luck this week! As always, we will be following your daily story and progress, and praying for you all the while! I continue to put your name on the temple role, and I'm sure others are doing the same. So as you begin your chemo, remember people are praying for you every hour all around the world! We love you, and are so happy to see you doing so well!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry I didn't get to give you a hug (or a knuckle bump :)) yesterday at church. You were surrounded and I had Primary! How great the the phrase "Home is a haven and refuge from the storms......"
    Love and prayers and VIRTUAL hugs in abundance!,

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey- you don't know me but I've heard about your son through my mother in law Pam jones who is in your ward. We live about 35 minutes west of primaries. If you ever need a place to stay we have plenty of space here for any or all of you. Please feel welcome anytime!

    ReplyDelete