Saturday, November 7, 2015

Happy Birthday to Me!! I'm Sooo Happy!

Yep! About that happy!


Anyway. . . Coming home was just as good as we had imagined it to be.  After a quick port change (ok, it took like 3 hours to get the numbing gel up from pharmacy), we were finally on our way home yesterday.


Still loving the art!
 One of the hardest things for me at the hospital was watching other families leave.  I would be so happy for them, but that's when not having a "leaving time frame" became hard.  On the way out, I passed one of my new-made hospital friends who has a 5 month old baby here for heart surgery. But on the eve of surgery they found a tumor behind the heart and now the baby has to undergo chemo and radiation and heart surgery.  The mom is from out of state and has no car here.  She stays at the Ronald McDonald House and takes the shuttle to Primary Children's.   Being at the hospital always makes you grateful for what you have, because someone else is always having a harder time.
 The first one to meet Brendan when he came home was Tony, our cat.  He climbed right up on Brendan's lap and snuggled in.
 Brendan had to check out the back yard before he went inside.  He was amazed with the fall colors.  I could at least look out the window at the hospital everyday, but Brendan went most of the month without seeing outside.




 Checking it all out.  Everything seems new. . .
 The physical and occupational therapists told me he would do amazing things at home that he wouldn't attempt in the hospital  -- just because it's home.  I found that to be very true!
 Making beautiful music together!
 Last night and this morning I was trained in giving Brendan his IV antibiotics through his port.  What?  I didn't know I would be doing this.  Brendan wasn't kidding when he said I should just get my nursing degree.
 Sleepover!
 The best way to start the day!
Today is all fun and games.  And remembering to get Brendan to drink -- and take his medicine -- and rest.  Those are the things he was told if he didn't do he would be admitted back into the hospital.  He only has 1 1/2 quarts of fluids left to go. . .

3 comments:

  1. This is great. He's so happy too! What a difference being home makes! And the fact you used Emperor's New Groove to start this post was sheet epic awesomeness. I love you guys. So great to see such smiles! There truly is no place like home!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy, happy, happy. Don't throw off his groove!

    ReplyDelete