Saturday, July 23, 2016

On the Wings of Prayers

Saturday, July 23, 2016
 I wish I could not write tonight, but my heart is too full and the words keep pushing out onto the page. . .

I snapped this picture of Brendan's peaceful face this morning as the sun began to dawn and the light hit his face.  The night had not been peaceful.  Brendan was restless, hurting.  I prayed to know how much longer he would have to endure the pain -- how much longer we would have to endure the pain of watching him in pain.  As the light began to change subtly in the room, we sensed a change.   Brendan's racing heart began to slow, his struggle for breath began to ease.  His face calmed.  I felt he would not be with us much longer.
 Trying to anticipate what the end of his struggle would look like brought all of us a bit of anxiety.  How would we handle it?  How would it look?  Could we bear the pain of it?  But then it came.  Slowly.  Not as easily as I would have hoped.  "Dying is hard work," the nurse explained later.  But Brendan made it.  And the peace came that he was finally free of all the suffering and all the pain.

Today has been beautiful.  There is a spirit about life -- I've felt it nine times over as each of our children have been born.  And there is a beautiful spirit about death -- it's an integral part of life.  Understanding that we move from this mortal realm into a spiritual realm brings the comfort and peace as the Spirit testifies to us that Brendan is in a better place and that someday we will all be together again.

What a kind and merciful Heavenly Father we have.  He gives us the peace and understanding that this life is just a preparatory state -- one in which we prepare to meet God.  And Brendan prepared well.  We have commented many times today how Brendan grew up and matured in the 10 months since he was diagnosed with cancer.  He went from a young boy to an experienced, thoughtful young man.  What a teacher pain is.

How do you spend the rest of the day when someone you love is gone?  We looked at pictures and reminisced about good times with Brendan.

 We enjoyed the tokens of love others brought today.
 The kids wondered if it would be appropriate to continue with the archery activity they had planned for tonight.  I smiled.  Long gone are the days of black clothing and mourning out the prescribed number of days.  What better way to celebrate Brendan's life, than to keep on living!
 Many kind and thoughtful gestures were made in our behalf today.  Food was brought, flowers sent, and lights were hung in Brendan's trees.
 Personally, I've felt lifted and buoyed up on the wings of all the prayers uttered in our behalf today.  I  can't feel sad yet because I'm so grateful Brendan is out of pain.  I'm nothing but happy for the time he and I shared this past year.  So many difficult experiences, yet so many blessings.  I'm so grateful for Brendan!  So grateful for all the lessons I learned from him.  So grateful I could be his mother for 12 short years.
I know each of us is going to grieve in our own personal ways.  I think the journey ahead may be as rocky as the road just behind us.  This journey hasn't ended -- for us, we are still en route.

Thank you, my sweet Brendan. You taught me a lot.  Till we meet again!

16 comments:

  1. Kerry, I wish I could have an ounce of the faith you and Brendan have. I love you and your family so much and I would give you a hug right now if I could. Thank you so much for writing this blog. My prayers are still with you for the coming hard days.

    Marilee Passey

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope to be half as amazing as you someday! So grateful God gave me you as a sister and Shaun as a brother. I am truly blessed by your example!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kerry, you are the most remarkable woman I know. Heavenly Father picked the pefect example for Charlie to learn from. It's no wonder he was such a great example for us all. He will be missed tremendously but he taught our family more about faith, strength, courage, and kindness in the last 10 months then we have learned in the last 10 years! We are so greatful for him and his example. Thank you for sharing your struggles, and your story with us. You have truly made us better people by being you! We will pray for peace, strength and comfort always. We love you all!! Xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  4. My dear Peck family. Words don't come easy but I have to let you know what an impact you have had on my life. Shelly Bytendorp is my daughter and she shared your blog with me. What a special young man Brendan. Please know I love you all. May the Lord surround you with peace and comfort during this difficult time. Your guardian angel will be near you and watch over you.
    With much love
    Diane Ogden

    ReplyDelete
  5. HOORAH!! VALIANT & BRAVE SERVANT OF THE LORD! HOORAH! You made it Charlie! I will REMEMBER YOU FOR, FOREVER!! YOUR FAITH WILL INFLUENCE MANY! YOU GO BRENDAN!! MY SWEET BROTHER, HOORAH!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Kerry and Shaun, My heart is breaking for you and your family. My son Maleke is the same age as Brendan. I laid down on his bed with him this morning, watched him while he was sleeping, and just held him and cried. No parent should ever have to endure the pain of losing a child. I admire your strength and your faith, your being able to have peace in knowing he is in a better place, he is no longer in pain, and you will see him again. He will be your guardian angel. I'm praying for all of you.
    Love you,
    Sherri Nye Bowens

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful post. Thank you for sharing your heart, your journey. Thank you for sharing Brendan with us. Say "Hi" to my brothers Charlie. I'm blessed to have known you! Well done.
    Much love and prayers Peck family.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Rest in peace Charlie. Your suffering has ended but your memory lives in all the many lives you have touched.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Kerry, you bring out emotions in me that I didn't know existed . You have a beautiful way of expressing your thoughts and feelings. Very few experiences in my life had affected me like Brendan's has. I am forever changed because of a twelve years old boy. His light was and still is a beacon to all that know him. I hurt for you and your family every day but I also rejoice that Brendan is free of his pain. Thank you for letting me be a part of your lives because it has changed mine. I hope that you will keep writing in some forms or another. May the Lord bless you and keep you.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Did you know you could make your blog into a book?
    You have such an amazing spirit, as does Shaun; no wonder you were given Brendan to raise. Thank you for sharing your feelings and testimony with us. You bless our lives.
    I love to picture Brendan in my mind, with our Father and pain free. He is getting to know all those ancestral loved ones who have gone before.
    May the Lord continue to bless you and your family with His comfort and peace. Much Love.

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a beautiful example Brendan has been to us. Strong and valiant. I too see him in our Saviors arms surrounded by his eternal loved ones. Our hearts are with you. We love you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Brendan, for the short time I knew you I could never have dreamed that something so dramatic could have happened to you and your family. The way you handled cancer was so inspiring to me and so many others. I'm so grateful that for most of your time on earth I was able to call you a friend. Memories of you came popping into my head of you when I heard that you had passed away. I could not recall a single one that did not show you being kind, caring and considerate of others. Rest in peace Brendan. I look forward to the day that we can meet again

    -todd

    ReplyDelete
  13. Kerry, I am sure that you have given Brendan a head start on the family reunion in heaven by introducing him to his ancestors that you have pictured on your kitchen wall. You prepared Charlie well while he was here and also for meeting his loved ones on the other side. (Those relatives will be impressed that Brendan knows them.) Way to Go, Charlie! Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  14. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete