Friday, July 22, 2016

Waiting for the Butterfly

 Brendan is struggling.  But there are moments when, for a brief time, he seems like he feels well.  But they don't last long.
 His mouth is very dry from having a steady stream of oxygen blowing by.  He still asks for pears to eat.
 Cousins came today.  For a few moments he sat up and smiled.  He can't talk much -- it takes too much oxygen to talk and breathe at the same time -- so he only says a word or two at a time.  Or he doesn't talk at all.
 The caterpillar the Lowry's brought turned into a chrysalis.  We are waiting for it to turn into a butterfly.

 Often Brendan is restless and can't get comfortable.  He gets very tired lying on his shoulder so he tries to turn onto his back.  But it's hard to breathe on his back so he tries his left side.  That hurts so he moves back to his right side and it starts all over again until the pain gets to be too much.  Finally, his exhaustion helps him fall into a slumber.  But he is easily disturbed.
 While Brendan slept at home, Team Daemon put on "Charlie's Day" at Renegade Sports.  We are so grateful for the support and encouragement for us and for Brendan!  Thank you!





Brendan asked for a bed bath today.  It was good to get him clean, but it wore him out.
 Surprisingly, he asked for raspberries when he woke up for a minute.  I ran outside to get some.
Slowly, Brendan is withdrawing -- sleeping more and communicating less.  We are grateful for the moments he still smiles.  And the precious moments when he quietly whispers, "I love you" as we try to help him in some small way.


2 comments:

  1. To Our Sweet Peck Family ... May I share a touching experience with you that let's you know that Charlie's rough, yet courageous experience is building hope and courage in others throughout the country. Two months ago during the first week of May I traveled to Portland, Oregon to visit my sister. Because she is a Sister Ordinance Worker and Temple Coordinator she had to spend a full day in the temple while I was there. Of course, I attended the temple that day with her. After completing an endowment session, I decided to sit quietly in the beautiful upper level of the Portland Temple's celestial room to ponder and pray. Upon arriving in this magnificent room I noticed I was the only one there. After scoping the beauty of this room, I closed my eyes to enjoy this serene moment. When I arrived, I was the only one in the room; yet, after I had had my eyes closed for a couple minutes, I heard the quiet sobs of another sister nearby. While my eyes remained closed, I felt a strong impression that I needed to go over to this young mother's side and wrap my arms around her. I held this beautiful young mother in my arms for several minutes before I again felt the need to tell her that "all would be well". I did not know this young sister, nor did I know why she was sobbing. Soon, I felt her sobs quiet and a peace come over her. She suddenly began to tell me about her young son who was struggling for his life because he was found drowning in a nearby pool. While he had been resuscitated, he was struggling with some other brain issues because of the accident that will most likely remain for the rest of his life. This young mother was a recent convert and was struggling with knowing whether our Father was really there. I began to share your experience with precious Brendan by telling her that there was a very special family in my Ward back in Utah who had been struggling, yet maintained faith and hope in our Father's plan. As soon as I mentioned Brendan's full name, she took a deep gasp and said, "I know this young boy! I have been following their blog. I have wondered how this family could be so strong." After visiting with her for a few more minutes and sharing my testimony of the Plan of Happiness, she thanked me for the comforting arms and the reminder of Brendan Peck and his family's faith and courage in such a difficult time of life. She knew that she could now go forward and follow your example through her trial with her young son's challenges - come what may be. Warm hugs were then shared between two sisters who will most likely never cross paths again, but knowing we belonged in the same eternal family. While you will never meet the many people who pray for all of you on a daily basis, know that your example of faith, hope, and courage and your knowledge of our Father's glorious Plan of Happiness is touching the lives of people throughout this nation as well as other parts of this globe. Much love and many prayers to all ... Art and Calleen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Calleen, Thank you so much for sharing this story with us!

      Delete