Brendan's fever continued throughout the night, even reaching 104 degrees around 4 a.m. I had slept a few hours by then, but when the doctor came in to check Brendan I knew something was up.
![]() |
| Near constant monitoring of his blood pressure and vital signs throughout the night. |
A few minutes later, the X-ray technician showed up to take a chest X-ray.
Brendan did not appreciate being rolled onto a hard, cold board in the middle of the night. But he did it. The whole x-ray procedure took less than 10 minutes. They brought the x-ray machine right into the room, got the image, showed the image to the doctor, then got back out the door. The image showed his lungs are clear.

The night slowly turned to day, and Brendan began feeling a tiny bit better. During the night, he had finally been given Motrin to bring down his fever. (Ibuprofen can interfere with platelet formation in the blood, so they don't like to give it to them during chemo treatments.)
After a long night, Brendan and I were both glad to see the sun rise! It seems like everything is better during the day.
More blood draws this morning, a nasal swab (they let Brendan put the swab up his nose himself), urine samples and fecal samples (after he started with diarrhea).Brendan was plagued with nausea all morning, but it has begun to subside somewhat. He still won't eat, but has taken a few sips of water with his medication. He also wanted his teeth brushed.
This morning Brendan peeked out to see what Bingo prizes came from the Forever Young Zone. (The Kidz Crew have a Bingo game in the playroom that is televised to the kids rooms so they can play along. Then they bring prizes afterwards, whether or not you played. Today Brendan received a poster, an art kit, and a small football.)
Radiation has been cancelled for Brendan today.
They just brought us news that Brendan tested positive for "c diff"-- Clostridium difficile colitis. It happens when antibiotics kill off the good bacteria in the gut and this spore-forming bacterium takes over causing bloating, diarrhea, and pain. Often flu-like symptoms accompany it. So now we know what we are fighting. He will get a specific antibiotic orally (so it doesn't go all over the body) to help his digestive tract. Apparently, this is a pretty common problem for cancer kids who are constantly on high doses of antibiotics. Soap and old-fashioned hand-washing have to be done as the alcohol based hand cleaners don't kill the spores. Radiation and chemo can continue if he is feeling better tomorrow and cultures don't show any other problems.








I am so sorry this has been soooo scary, and so glad you have an answer....but I just HAVE to tell you of the little microbiology dance I am doing right now, because I have been mulling this over in my head all day, and after the text about the diarrhea, and knowing that he had been on very powerful antibiotics, I decided he had C. diff. I talked myself out of texting you that because surely my BS in micro does not compare to the knowledge and experience of Dr's at PCMC, but glad to know that I can still reason out diseases. Still praying!!!!
ReplyDelete