Wednesday, November 4, 2015

After the Crying. . .

Just so you know, I finally found time to cry.  Just a few minutes, mind you, before we had to help the physical therapist get Brendan to sit up. But a minute.  Fortunately, Shaun's shoulder was still here to cry on.

I've noticed a big correlation with my mood and how Brendan is feeling.  I guess that shouldn't be a surprise, but I hadn't linked the two quite so much before.  As Brendan has been feeling better today, so have I.  I have to show you his improvement today.
 The pain meds overnight kept him quite drowsy this morning.  He slowly began to wake up as we moved to Tylenol and Motrin for pain.

 By mid-morning he was awake and wanting the IV out of his hand and the heart monitor tabs off his chest, stomach and back.  He pulled them off himself.
 In this room we have a better view than the wall in NTU (neurotrauma unit).
 Speech Therapy came and Brendan was asleep, Occupational Therapy came and he was still asleep.  But when Physical Therapy came it was time to sit up.  She hoped he would walk to the window and back, but we settled on just sitting up on the edge of the bed for a minute or two.

 It hurt, but he did it!

 By mid-afternoon, Brendan was hungry and ate almost all of a hamburger.  The speech therapist (who also works with swallowing issues) came to watch Brendan eat.  She said he was doing great and his throat is working fine.
 A long afternoon nap did wonders for both of us. . .
 This evening Brendan enjoyed a movie -- his first since before brain surgery.  It was Big Hero 6.
 Wow! It does my heart good to see him smile!  Tonight he was able to get up and walk to the bathroom.  Again, he didn't like it, but he did it.
 Thanks for the notes of encouragement, sympathy, and love.  All of them have lifted and helped me put everything into perspective today.  It really is all about one day (and sometimes one hour) at a time here. Thank you!

3 comments:

  1. Great update. That smile means everything. I hope you all sleep well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "A mother is only as happy as her saddest child."
    We love you!
    - Jack & ShaMayne

    ReplyDelete
  3. This one made me tear up. I love you! I wish I could give you all the strength and peace you all need to enduree this. My heart is with you.

    ReplyDelete