Once again, Brendan has bounced back from a difficult setback. The change in him started slowly today, but picked up speed as the day progressed.
The trips to the bathroom have decreased significantly throughout the day. . .
When I left to grab a bite to eat at the Ronald McDonald Family Room, Brendan was resting. When I came back he was sitting up and had just finished most of a hamburger-(his first food since yesterday morning). My heart soared!! Earlier in the day I had wished to be off this roller coaster ride, but the immense joy I felt when I saw this smile I wouldn't have traded for the world! I knew that the only way this meant so much to me was because of the valley of fear I had been through 12 hours earlier.
Today Brendan was ready to start the "Colors of Courage" bead program here in the ICU. For each medical procedure or event the kids go through they get a different bead. So, for a blood transfusion, he gets a red bead, his port means he gets a glass heart bead, CT scans are a cat, etc. and every time he does radiation, he'll get a glow in the dark bead.
They talked to him about starting this shortly after his brain surgery, but he just wasn't ready to think about it. Now, he is really excited about all he has earned/endured/accomplished.
Sarah: He was vastly disappointed that he didn't get a gold helicopter bead for being life-flighted. He asked if we could please remedy that situation as soon as possible. The crystal bead that he'll be getting for his catheters, though, he said are simply not worth it.
I can't wait for the smile bead (end of treatment) or the yellow flower bead (remission). But it's kind of fun to celebrate all these things--lumbar punctures, biopsies, IV feeding--in a fun way. He was almost sad for a second that he had never had an echocardiogram so he could get a dolphin bead. I appreciate all they do to make treatment here as positive an experience as it can be.






This comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteBeads! What a simple yet powerful concept. I am in awe of the hospital's creativity.
ReplyDeleteI love it! What a grand idea! I am more and more impressed by the incredible care at primary children's! How do they display the beads? On a bracelet, chain, in a box...? I wonder if my boys would clean their room if I gave them a dolphin bead...? Hmmm... ;)
ReplyDeleteSo happy to hear things are brighter and beads are being earned. It reminds me of the Indians and how their boys earned symbols of manhood. Hoping today is even better for you.
ReplyDeleteWhat a great idea! I just love PMC, I had to spend a week there with my daughter when she was six with a serious infection and I just loved the way they made the best out of the situation for the kids. I'm so glad he's feeling better!!
ReplyDelete