We had a wonderful surprise this week when my twin sister and her family changed their flight plans and flew here this week instead of home from their vacation. I'm grateful they could spend time with us -- I mean, the kids always remind us that genetically they are half-siblings.
My heart was touched as I watched Marie grieve in her own personal way this afternoon. Sad times come, and then they pass, and life moves on as usual. When we were last at Primary Children's Hospital, I spoke with the social worker specifically about how to help kids Brendan's age cope with the death of their friend, cousin, classmate. It's a tough age because they know enough to understand, but don't have enough life experience behind them to comprehend all that death entails. Besides, they are at that magical age when kids believe that they are invincible. So how do they mesh their invincibility with a friends death? I was told it just takes lots of talking it out -- and parents do it best.
Tonight we had another special visit from Elder Larsen (of the Seventy) and his wonderful wife. He was so gracious to come and spend a few minutes with us and share with us his impressions from when he gave Brendan a blessing a month ago. Then they listened and let us share stories about Brendan. It was nice to share and talk and laugh about the things we remember. Here is one of the stories the kids shared:Brendan was sometimes very particular about the way he liked his food. When we had Norskies (crepes) he liked them rolled tight. A few times he got after Rachel for not rolling them tight enough. And they had to have just enough syrup on them -- not too much or too little. Once, when he complained a bit much, Rachel told him he would just have to make them himself. He realized he had been a little overly picky but gave Rachel a look like, "Do I look like I could do it myself?" He did mention how he just likes things so particularly and perfect.
One other memory I had today was about Brendan's eyelashes. From the time he entered the hospital, many, many comments every day were made to him about his long, lush eyelashes. Now, Brendan has heard all about his eyelashes all of his life. I thought he would pride himself on his beautiful eyelashes, but he never seemed grateful or impressed that they were noticed and pointed out. After most of his chemotherapy treatments, Brendan began to lose his eyelashes. Not all, but some. Brendan found that if he just tugged on them, they would come out. So he began pulling them out. I begged him not to -- I wanted him to keep his lovely eyelashes. But Brendan was glad to have them out. Because then, he got a break from every doctor, nurse, tech, radiation therapist, social worker, and receptionist asking him if he realized how lucky he was to have such long eyelashes! While he may not have been glad they grew back in -- thicker than before -- I was!

It's a peck children trait . . Those lashes❤️
ReplyDeleteI noticed them so many times. They were beautiful. I'm glad I never said anything about them.
ReplyDeleteI sat with Nock this evening and we talked about Charlie for quite some time. He finished with this:
ReplyDelete"You know Mom, when Grandma passed last year, I was really upset for a while. (That was one week after becoming members of the church), but learning all I have in the church in the last year, I'm still sad about Charlie but I know where he is, and that he is pain free now." He will miss not getting to take him a little Cesar's pizza, and will miss not getting to say goodbye, but knows now that he will get to say hello again one day, in heaven! We enjoyed talking about Charlie this evening! He changed our hearts and strengthened our faith (even in the kids)! We thank him in our prayers! Xoxo
Ha, that is funny cause I do remember thinking that about his lashes - I think only girls really appreciate a good set of lashes. It's hard to look back and appreciate all the fun memories 'before cancer' while in the midst of it all and struggling (although so many good memories during as well). It's fun to think and laugh at times when they were healthy, full of energy and picture them in Heaven that way.
ReplyDeleteI always marvel at how so many males have such perfect eyelashes, and us females are so envious. They just don't know what they have!! :) His definitely brought much admiration from everyone who saw him in person and also in photos.
ReplyDeleteOne of these days, when the dust settles, I may need to come get a lesson at making crepes from you. My kids are always asking me to make them, and I have never tried it. I'm afraid they won't be any good!