Tuesday, July 19, 2016

What Brendan Knows. . .

Just a reminder that you can access the beginning posts of the blog if you choose the "Sidebar" option at the top of the page.  (This only works on computers and not phones, I think.)  The sidebar lists all of the posts from the most recent to the beginning.

Today was a pretty incredible day.  We had so many wonderful people come to visit Brendan and our family.  So many kindnesses shown and love given.
The night was pretty good.  Brendan slept well.  He still can only sleep on his right side (due to pain when he is on his left) so it is nice when he can get off his shoulder and sleep on his back a little bit.  But breathing while he is on his back is harder for him, so he usually doesn't stay on his back long.
Brendan woke up saying, "I want waffles for breakfast!"  So waffles it was.  Aunt Shenla came to visit.
And Uncle Shiloh.
And Uncle Shalee, Aunt Cheryl, and Uncle Sharik and his family.
Later, after a nap, Brendan was able to visit with President Holmes (First Counselor in the Young Men's General Presidency) and his wife.  When asked what he has learned, Brendan said, "Heavenly Father is in charge."
 We were all uplifted by the Spirit that came with President and Sister Holmes.  We talked and shared  with them what we have learned through this experience.  Some of what we have learned is what Brendan already knows -- that Heavenly Father is in charge, He knows what he is doing, and everything is going to work out all right.
 Afterwards, there was time for pizza and fun with Chris.
 Aunt Shara and Boston came to visit -- (and Manny came for some pet therapy.)

Tonight, more dear friends came to visit and we discussed "why" something like this would happen to Brendan.  What Brendan knows makes it easier for him (and all the rest of us) to accept and understand why.  Brendan has learned that Heavenly Father's plan is perfect and that he has a work for Brendan to do -- both here and on the other side.  When he finishes his work here, he will move on to his work there.  Brendan is excited to be free of the pain and limitations he suffers here and looks forward to the resurrection when his body will be made whole.
It's an incredible thing to see what Brendan knows -- especially for someone his age.

Brendan's friends came to share a song they sang in Sacrament Meeting last week.  Since Brendan was in the hospital he missed hearing them.  Thanks, Alana and Lucy, for sharing this beautiful song with all of us!
(Here is the last part of it.)

 Brendan knows that he could be healed if it was Heavenly Father's will.  He also knows that sometimes it takes a lot of faith not to be healed -- and to still understand that it is Heavenly Father's plan.  I continue to be amazed at all that Brendan knows -- and all that he is teaching us.  
Brendan's time here on this earth is growing shorter.  We are seeing the changes that come as the cancer takes over his body.  Breathing is becoming more difficult.  The pressure in his abdomen and chest continues to increase as fluid collects there.  He is increasingly tired and getting out of bed less and less.  The pain in his back and spine give him a lot of difficulty.  We pray that his suffering will be short.

12 comments:

  1. What an amazing young man. Oh how we love him and his sweet testimony. Our thoughts and prayers are with you as always!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What an amazing young man! No wonder Heavenly Father needs him,he's perfect! I stay up each night just to read your words and see how Brendan did that day. You inspire me so much to have more faith and to trust our father in heaven. I hope you continue to write on this blog. My prayers are always with your family and I pray you all have peace and comfort ❤️

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh how I love you and Brendan! Your family has taught us how to be such a support to each other. You have shared your journey, your feelings, your testimony and your wonderful spirit with us. Brendan is lived alot of life this past year. He has had more experiences in that time period that alot of us have had at our age. He is an obvious valiant spirit. His maturity of spirit has shown through his 12 year old body. He has been a pillar of strength, endurance, faith to us.
    I too pray that his "graduation" to the next life will be swift and without long periods of suffering. He has won so many hearts!
    Love you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. And when I read what Brendan knows I realize I know it too. That's how testimonies go, they spark them in others❤️

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't know you but I know Sheridan and sherik and shanda... I have been following your blog the last month or so and you testimony and strength are amazing!!! I am in a wheelchair because of spina bifida and have spent so much time at primary's as well... It's a great hospital if you need care!! Because of my trials I have grown to know my savior better and know he has a perfect plan... I hope Brendan doesn't have to suffer long!! But what an amazing story and example he is to all of us...

    ReplyDelete
  6. We join our prayers with yours, that Brendan's suffering will be short. Thank you for reminding us of the importance of gratitude, even amidst chaos and heartbreak. Thank you for sharing your courage and faith. Thank you for sharing Brendan with us, his journey, his courage, his faith. Thank you for sharing your family's feelings and their journey. Thank you for being who you are Kerry. You have a depth of character that is rare and beautiful. Thank you for letting us peak into your home and your hearts, it has been truly uplifting. Tears and all. Much love my friend, in all its facets.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am so thankful for the strength my testimony has received through Charlie's testimony! Heavenly Father is in charge. So many lives have been touched through this experience that you so eloquently share with us. Charlie is serving Heavenly Father now and will continue His work after he finishes his mission here. THANK YOU! WE LOVE YOU ALL MORE THAN YOU KNOW!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am in tears after reading this. Sending all my love to Brendan and your family. It was a privilege to be able to spend time with this amazing young man when he was in my class!

    ReplyDelete
  9. As always my heart is touched and so full of love for your entire family.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you for all you have shared. Your spirits touch us all for good. Brendan is a giant among us all. Because of him we won't be the same.Love your guys!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I hope it not selfish to say, but your blog has enriched my life so much that I hope you continue to write... From the way you draw positivity from every trial, the way sweet Brendan does the same and smiles so often, despite this thing that's harder than anyone who isn't experiencing can even imagine, the trust you give to God, to others, the way you remind us all just how important family is and how quickly time passes- much quicker than we want it to. I can't describe all the ways in which you, your beautiful son, your beautiful family as a whole, has made me a better person. It's a shame it takes stuff like this to remind us all of the most important things in our lives. I guess it's just Gods way.

    Thank you so much for being so great at bringing it all to light. Love you guys

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thank you for allowing us to visit yesterday! As all have said on this thread, your family is beyond remarkable. You all truly have inspired and changed hearts, strengthened testimonies, and you truly have a gift with words Kerry. I can't begin to imagine what you all have endured, but as a Mother my heart aches for you. We thank you for allowing us all to travel this journey with you, via your blog. Charlie's testimony, strength, wisdom, vision, and attitude has made us better people (changed and softened our hearts). We love you all and send prayers daily! Xoxo

    ReplyDelete