Today CNS (Community Nursing Service -- and can I just mention how wonderful they are!) came to pick up all of the supplies we had been using for Brendan. The feeding pump, the hospital bed, the oxygen tank, and the chairs went out the door. I think the only thing that gave me some pause was the feeding pump. Brendan had nicknamed it "A Pain" and we have had it since Thanksgiving. Every night since (except for Brendan's last few days) we hooked up his "feeds" (formula) and turned it on to feed Brendan overnight. It has become such a routine that I still start for his supplies every night before bed.
Last night, Rachel, Maddy and I were remembering stories about Brendan. I asked Rachel to write her memory down so we could share and she graciously complied:
![]() |
| Rachel blogging |
"I can't, Charlie, I have work (or homework, or bed, or what-have-you)."
"You know, Rachel, one day, you're going to look back and regret not spending this time with me now...."
Dramatic sigh, huff, roll of the eyes, whatever, "uh-huh yeah sure," and usually I'd give in. Just for one round of lightning, or one short game, or a couple throws of a baseball. And he'd complain again when I went to leave, but he was usually smiling. So it was worth it.
And so went Charlie's very favorite guilt trip. It almost always worked, and I'm glad it did. When he was first diagnosed with cancer, this was one of the first things I remembered about him, and as I searched my heart to figure out if I did have any regrets, I was almost surprised to find that I didn't actually have that many. In all honesty, I don't remember every game of basketball we played, or every time I spent an extra five minutes with him when I could have been doing "more productive" things. But I do know for a fact that it strengthened our relationship (and also my patience). And the more I gave in, the easier it became. The more I enjoyed it. Now, it's almost impossible for me to say "no" to Aaron when he wants to do something, because I know that time is the most precious gift we can give to anybody, even when it's family. Especially when it's family.
![]() |
| Rachel and Brendan on May 13, 2016 |
As much as the guilt tripping drove me crazy, I know now that it was the best gift he gave me.
So next time that persistent little person asks, say yes. I promise it will be worth it.


So sweet. So many good choices made. So many simple yet profound memories.❤️
ReplyDeleteThank you for still updating. It warms my heart. I love you so. When you post- I know you are still as ok as you can be. It helps me feel more peace. You guys are on my mind and in my heart.
ReplyDeleteGreat message and memory!! I've thought about you all so much this past week. For whatever reason, I've thought a lot about little Aaron especially. Being so much younger than Charlie, and 8 years between he and Landon, I imagine he might have some feelings of loneliness. I'm so glad he has such a great family unit to hang on to. I'm glad you all have that together! The closeness and the time you all spend together is so priceless. ❤️
ReplyDeleteLove this picture of Rachel and Brendan. I'm so glad he could remind all of you of what matters most, even if it was a "guilt" trip. It was a gift. ♡ to all of you!
ReplyDeleteRachel, I keep thinking about your memory and can't help but think that when your own life gets hard or you need some help or strength beyond your own in future days, you might just send a thought or request heavenward asking for Brendan to come to your aid. I can imagine your request sounding something like, "You know Brendan, you are going to regret not spending time with me now when I need you."
ReplyDeleteAnd somehow I think you will feelhis closeness and sence he is smiling.