Wednesday, March 16, 2016

Socks

Things are getting better.  Every day Brendan is a little better, a little stronger.  Even before we see the results of his blood tests, I know his counts are going higher.  His eyes are brighter and his energy stronger.

Brendan is still loving his bald head.  I'm glad that I don't have to clean the hair out of the tub or wash the tufts of hair out of the pillowcases anymore.
It's easier to let the hair dry then vacuum it out of the tub.
 Now it's just good clean fun in the bathtub :)
There were tears today.  I insisted Brendan swallow something -- anything.  (When I don't put my foot down, he slinks off and "forgets" to chew and swallow.)  It was the usual.  I reminded him about brushing his teeth, bathing or showering, chewing and swallowing, and wearing socks.

DETOUR:  Yes, wearing socks.  When his blood counts are down we remind him to wear socks to protect his feet so he doesn't stub a toe, or get a sliver,  or cut open his feet.  When I first read this, I thought it was silly, but I've learned.  When blood and platelet counts are this low, we go to extremes to avoid any cut or opening in the skin.  Everything from not flossing (to avoid bleeding gums) to stool softeners (to avoid cracks and bleeding you know where) to lip balm (to avoid cracked and bleeding lips).   These things are the "not so obvious."  There are always the obvious biking, skating, trampoline No-No's.  (Glad summer hasn't kicked in fully yet.  The snow seems to help in this department. Hopefully, by the time spring and summer arrive officially, Brendan won't have to worry about low blood and platelet counts any more -- or have to wear socks.)

So, back to the tears:   We had our bi-monthly talk about how taking care of teeth, skin, and throat muscles now will save lots and lots of problems later.  He knows all the why's and what-for's.  It's just hard to do it -- all the time -- every day -- every night.  And he's just about given up on ever being able to taste food again.  Or even having a desire to eat.  But others who know say it will come back.  It just takes awhile.

In the meantime, Brendan received some great new hats from Jacob Weaver (that his mom made) to keep his shiny top warm during all this spring snow.  (Thanks Weavers!)






I've been going a little stir crazy staying in so long waiting for Brendan's blood counts to go back up. I can at least sneak out when Shaun's home to get out for a few wonderful minutes.  Brendan is stuck at home.  He's getting more creative at finding things to do when he's all alone.  He's pulled out years worth of back issues of "The Friend" magazine and re-read all the stories and solved all the puzzles.  He's built legos and read emails from Loren and Jamie, and his Missouri cousins.

Tomorrow we will have been home a whole week.  I'm trying to remember the last time that happened.  This past month, starting last February 13, we haven't had more than 6 days at home in between hospital visits.  And sometimes it was only 2 days in between.  So we are feeling great about the chance to recuperate and gain strength.

A week out is about as far as I can see -- and plan -- ahead right now.  (Sometimes I don't even dare plan a few hours ahead.)  When the kids leave for school I never promise I'll be here when they get home. I'm just always glad when I am!

No comments:

Post a Comment