Sunday, March 13, 2016

Walking the Line

This morning, Brendan sat over the heater vent with a blanket to get warm.  As I listened, I could hear his breathing get faster and more shallow.  I knew it was time to take his temperature.  
 Three different thermometers gave three different readings, so I found new batteries and tried again.  Brendan's temperature was hovering right in that in-between zone (100 to 100.6) where we watch it for an hour, then call if his temperature stays above 100.4 for that hour.  Well, Brendan's temperature kept dropping down to 99 degrees, then up to 100.8.  I started packing.
 I checked the book again for specific instructions on temperature taking techniques, and when to call the weekend oncology PA for instructions.
 Brendan was determined he didn't want to go to the hospital.  We both knew that if Brendan ended up being seen in the Emergency Department, he would have to be admitted because his ANC is below 500.  We also knew that he would have to stay there for at least 48 hours or until his blood counts came back up-- and he would have to start antibiotics again.
 While all of that is great when you need it, Brendan didn't want to ruin his 2 week break from the hospital.  He determined we would kneel down right then and say a prayer.  He prayed that his fever would go away and that he would be able to stay home today.
 Within minutes, his temperature began coming down and has stayed under 100.4 the rest of today.
 That didn't stop Shaun and I from taking his temperature every 20 to 30 minutes.  We teased Brendan about "walking the line" and even played Johnny Cash's song for him to hear.


 Better than getting a good thermometer reading, he has been alert, active, and feeling well.  He knows what a temperature feels like and I keep asking him if he feels feverish.  So far he's been good.  Tonight he'll be sleeping next to my bed and I'll be monitoring his temperature every hour or so.  I was getting a little lax -- (I had already put my toothbrush back into my bathroom drawer) -- but now everything is packed again, Brendan's laundry is clean and in his bag, and we are ready to go if we need to leave quickly.  So far, Brendan is still walking the line.

1 comment:

  1. I love Johnny Cash. Brendan's even wearing black! So very grateful for prayer and faith. We'll pray he's well enough to stay home the next 2 weeks, and that he can enjoy being bored AT HOME! ;)

    ReplyDelete