I've tried to feel Christmas-y-- really I have. I've played Christmas music on the radio (but get bah-humbuggy when there are so many commercials). I've tried to enjoy the poinsettias at the Huntsman Cancer Institute (I love poinsettias), but counting down the days till the end of radiation instead of days until Christmas kind of defeats the feeling. I haven't had time to shop, or bake, or go caroling.
So I had just about resigned myself to writing off this year of Christmas and working on "feeling it" next year.
We packed up this morning, finished up episode 3 of Star Wars (we watched 4, 5, 6, 1, 2, 3 order) in preparation for the new Star Wars tomorrow, and dashed out of the house in Farmington in order to make it to radiation on time today.
![]() |
| Packing the pump and feeding supplies -- Brendan's only nutrition anymore. |
It was time to head home!
After the snow in Salt Lake this week, it was nice to have a clear, sunny drive home.
When I got home, I found all of these Christmas letters waiting for me!! I LOVE Christmas letters and look forward to them all year. I sit and savor each and every one of them and "catch up" on a years worth of news. Brendan was feeling the Christmas spirit (and the warmth) with his new hat knitted by Kris John!
Being home, reading Christmas letters, and watching Maddy's Christmas choir concert helped me feel a little bubble of Christmas excitement. But what really gave me a burst of Christmas spirit happened when I drove home and parked the car out front of our house. I was listening to the end of one of my favorite stories, "The Necklace" by Guy de Maupassant, being read on the radio, so I turned the lights off and was sitting in the car in the dark when out of the shadows a person crept up on to our porch and proceeded to quietly set something by the door. He rang the doorbell and dashed off the porch, running amazingly fast through the snow, and disappeared back into the darkness. I couldn't tell who it was, but the feeling of Christmas suddenly burst in my heart -- just like the Grinch, "whose small heart grew three sizes that day!"
What a gift. Kindness and love and thoughtfulness and sacrifice -- and cold feet -- to bring me a big dose of Christmas spirit. Thank you!








No comments:
Post a Comment