I thought about how grateful I am that we have the medical advances that we do today. Had we lived a hundred years ago (or even 20), things might have turned out very differently for Brendan. His survival, had he survived, might have appeared much more miraculous. Today's modern miracles seem a little less "magical" but are amazing nonetheless.
After Brendan's brain surgery he was flat on his back for 6 days. He didn't eat for most of those days due to surgery recovery and a nasty meningitis infection. As he lost weight and strength, the doctors ordered TPN, (an intravenous food consisting of sugars and carbohydrates, lipids (fats), electrolytes, trace minerals, and proteins) to be pumped into his veins. It kept him alive and provided the calories he needed to recover from the many surgeries and the infection until he could eat again. What an incredible miracle -- to be fed through your veins!
After Brendan's first round of chemo, he became so nauseous and vomited so much that he lost all of his strength and several more pounds off his already small frame. A NG (nasogastric) tube was placed and Brendan began to be fed directly into his stomach. With radiation and chemo treatments knocking out his saliva glands, his taste buds, and his appetite, the feeding tube became another life-saving miracle.
Today I sat Brendan down to a tiny lunch consisting of a few macaroni and cheese noodles and a glass of water. I begged him to eat -- anything, something. "Just chew and swallow," I pleaded. He complied, but with only three bites and a swallow of water -- his nose wrinkled in disgust the whole time. Upon finishing, he held up the end of his feeding tube -- his sign to me that he would rather be fed through his tube. Then, I complied, thanking him for at least trying to eat.
Gratefully, I filled his bag. Thankfully I wondered who had spent time, energy and money in "inventing," marketing, and selling liquid "food" with protein, calories, vitamins, and minerals -- just what someone needs to keep them alive and energetic. I was grateful for the person who figured out a way to pump that liquid nutrition into a small tube through someones nose, down their throat, and into their stomach at variable rates and amounts. I was tearfully happy as I watched Brendan run, play, complain about homework (it takes energy to complain), and do all the normal 11-year-old things kids do when they have enough food in their tummies to "feed" their brain and their muscles so they can do more than just lie in bed.
![]() |
| Brendan resting while working on his Scout merit badges with his incredible leader, Dawna. |
I've seen the gamut from strength to none in Brendan and say, "It's a miracle to be able to feed Brendan every day!"



Wow! What a post! It never occurred to me to be grateful for being able to feed my boys today -- well, I guess gratitude has come for this, but MORE SO...that they are able to chew and swallow that food! Your sentence struck me about taking for granted that we will have food everyday, and that we will be ABLE to eat that food! How many blessings are we surrounded by that go completely unnoticed? Blessings that don't even fall under the category of "taking for granted" because we don't even THINK about them? Thank you, Kerry, for the reminder that I need to be grateful for EVERYTHING! I love you!!!
ReplyDeletePS I have no idea why I am signed in as Josh! And I can't seem to change it! 🤔
ReplyDeleteIt is a miracle to be able to feed Brendan every day. And to think about when he didn't want that tube! Thanks for your insight, by small things great things come to pass. Miraculous what a little sustenance can do!! Much love to you, Brooke
ReplyDelete