Sunday, February 7, 2016

Ahhh. . . Sundays

As we all know, Sundays are never exactly a day of rest.  Not in the sense that we just lounge around and do nothing.   In my experience, sometimes they are the busiest day of the week.  But, ahhh, they truly are a day of rest -- from work, from kids activities, from homework, from the daily stress of normal life.  It's so nice to take a break from it all and enjoy the focus on the Savior.  And family.  And all the important things in life that kind of get pushed aside in the hustle and bustle of a busy week.  Sunday -- just what we need each week.


Today I read this quote: 
 "As we renew and honor our covenants, our burdens can be lightened and we can continually become purified and strengthened."
--Linda S. Reeves, "Claim the Blessings of your Covenants"
My attention is often caught when the subject is about how our burdens can be lightened.  When I'm not paying attention, I find myself carrying the heavy load and wearing out.  Then I remember who has promised to lighten our load and lift our burdens and I can once again lay it all at His feet and "carry a song away." 

I've found over and over that the greatest strength I gain each week is when I'm taking the sacrament.   Sometimes that is here in our home ward.   Last week Brendan and I were blessed to have the Elders bring it to our room in the hospital.  (Brendan was just getting his chemo dose and we couldn't leave to attend the sacrament meeting there.)  But a few hours later, they showed up in the room to see if we wanted the sacrament.  

Weeks that we have been home, but Brendan couldn't attend sacrament meeting, the Priests brought the sacrament to our house.  I'm always grateful for that wonderful act of service.  What a blessing.  What a strength each week to partake of the bread and water and renew our covenants -- and be promised the constant companionship of the Spirit. 

 The Mason cousins came to visit today after church and it made for a fun afternoon of games and visiting.
 Brendan was eating more by mouth when he first came home from the hospital this week.  But as the nausea has increased (due to chemo side effects), his appetite has decreased.  He is really wishing his taste buds would come back and that food will once again have some appeal.  I just figure it will be a matter of time.  Hopefully sooner than later.

 With the strength of Sunday to give us a lift and a day of rest, we are ready to face another busy week.  Brendan will have his follow up appointments with the radiation oncologist, and his eye doctor.  We will see if they are ready to do follow up scans, or if they will wait for chemo to be finished.

No comments:

Post a Comment