Thursday, February 25, 2016

Sigh of Relief

The results for the CT scans came back today.  The resident said that the scan shows no problems in the area of Brendan's pain.  They did see a little lung collapse in one area but did not think it was a big deal.  They think he probably pulled a muscle.
Kerry:  When I arrived at Primary's this afternoon I was surprised to see Brendan in so much pain.  It showed in his eyes. He wouldn't move.  And he kept his right side protected.

 Within a few minutes of my arrival, Brendan's Uncle Sharik (and a wonderful Physical Therapist) showed up.  He brought his vibrator and began working on Brendan's feet, then his back, and then his side.  Within 15 minutes Brendan rolled over onto his back. Whoa!  30 minutes later, he was on his feet walking around (as far as his monitor wires would allow.) 
Check out the technique at https://rezzimax.com
 The nurses are still giving 15 m/Eq of sodium every 4 hours or so.  At last check, his sodium was back up to 130.  He is still being given oral vancomycin and cefepime antibiotics.
 Tonight Brendan has spent time sitting. . .
 . . .and rolling over to his left side.  With the movement has come more energy and and increased alertness.  His last fever was last night, so we are hoping to hit the 24-hour fever free mark soon.  In order for him to go home, he has to be fever-free for 24 hours, be able to manage the pain, and be able to be up and about.
 Everything this afternoon has been on the up and up.  We'll take it.  The doctors are hoping Brendan can spend some time at home recuperating -- (where he recuperates best) -- and return for chemo sometime next week.  They think they have a name for his sodium struggles (but I don't know what it's called.)  It just feels better having a name for it, though I don't know why that should make any difference.  But if it has a name, then we think they know what to do with it.  The doctors feel that with the new chemo (carboplatin) they will be able to manage the sodium drop better.  Here's hoping they are right.  We'll find out next week, I guess.

2 comments:

  1. I hope you get some good sleep tonight.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I DON'T KNOW WHERE BRENDAN AND YOU ALL GET THE STRENGTH TO CARRY ON DAY AFTER DAY . WELL I GUESS WE DO. OUR THOUGHTS,LOVE AND PRAYERS ARE WITH YOU EVERYDAY.THANK GOODNESS FOR FAMILY THERE THE BEST.

    ReplyDelete