The drive home from the hospital early this morning was really the worst part of the whole night. All of the x-rays, blood tests, and monitoring showed nothing wrong. And Brendan's fever disappeared once we got to the Emergency Department. So after a dose of Rosephin (Ceftriaxone), a bolus of fluid, and a final blood pressure check at 4 a.m., we were signing discharge papers. (I think we could have left an hour or so earlier if Brendan's blood pressure didn't keep dipping -- it's pretty normal for it to do that when he falls asleep -- But they weren't sure they liked that.)
It was nice to take a quick trip to the hospital, then return home again. We haven't done that before :)
The drive from Logan to Hyrum was difficult, but the drive from Hyrum to Avon was absolutely treacherous. The roads were covered, it was hard to see anything, and the roads were slick as . . .well, -- they were really slick.Brendan beat me up this morning, but after tucking Brendan into bed and hooking up his food, and getting Aaron back to sleep, I crawled into bed at 5:10 a.m. So, it wasn't much of a feat. Brendan has been tired, but feeling good. He even ventured outside for some fun in the snow with his siblings and cousins.
The snow was perfect for fort making and snowball fighting --
--While the afternoon was perfect for watching the BYU basketball game. (I think Brendan even snuck in a quick nap.)
I find I keep having expectations about how Brendan's recovery should go. After so much uncertainty for so long, you would think I would know better. But I keep hoping that everything is just going to be smooth sailing from here on out. This whole cancer experience has been "two steps forward, one step back," but I'm wanting progress to come in leaps and bounds. It reminds me of a wonderful running friend who always begins to run faster as we get near the top of a hill, or at the end of our route. I've learned that when she speeds up, she is just wanting to get the hard part over. Well, this part of the journey reminds me of her. I just want to get this part over faster.
Somehow, I've got to learn to be more patient -- and have less expectations.






So glad to see you're having some fun in the snow! Nothing wrong with having an expectation that things will get better. To me that's just hope.
ReplyDeleteGreat perspective! Thanks.
Delete