I wasn't just "less right." (One of our favorite quotes from MegaMind.) I was totally wrong. Brendan's blood count were not heading up liked I predicted, they were still heading down today. Way down. In fact, his ANC (absolute neutrophil count) is 0. Yep. Zero.
Even worse -- his platelet count dropped to 19. (I assume this is 19,000 and they just drop all the zeros, but I'm not completely sure.) Whatever the number, they are too low for the doctor to feel comfortable about, so we have to go to Primary's tomorrow for a platelet transfusion. We've never done this before, but I hear it doesn't take too long. And this will be done in the clinic. They don't have to type and match blood like they do each time you have a blood transfusion. Platelets can come from any blood type donor. It takes about 30 minutes to transfuse a bag of platelets, and another 30 minutes of observation. (I guess because of the histimines in different donors-- that goes into the transfusion-- that you can actually have an allergic reaction. So they will be watching for that.)
The only good news from Brendan's blood tests today was that his sodium is still hanging out at 138. Nice!
Information came this week for Camp Hobe. A summer camp for cancer kids and their siblings. Brendan is pretty excited about it. They swim, they bike, they zip line -- all the things "normal" kids get to do at camp.
Hanging out on the heater is still his favorite napping spot.
It's also a great game-playing spot.
Sarah got to feel his smooth head for the first time today. Everyone just has to rub his head and feel the scars.
Brendan pulled out all of his hats again today. He needs the extra warmth.
Since shaving his head, hats and warm rice bags are his favorites.
We're hoping for a quick trip down to Salt Lake and back tomorrow, but since I'm often "less right" about things, we will take our bags -- just in case.










I will be thinking of you guys!! Best of luck tomorrow with the platelet transfusion. Sending Love!! -Jill
ReplyDeleteThat's our favorite movie and we say that often at this house! We'll pray for a "quick trip" and all will be well for Charlie. Lots of love!
ReplyDelete