Thursday, December 24, 2015

Brendan's Christmas Message

Today started early. . . really early!  Rachel's flight was delayed until after 1 a.m., and we were glad to see her finally!
 It was kind of a "girls night out" at the airport.
We got to Farmington at 2:30 a.m. and Rachel had strict orders NOT to wake up Brendan because he had an early morning radiation appointment.  But how I wish I had a picture of the hug Rachel got from Brendan when she walked into the room.  He was so happy to see her!

Weeks ago Brendan talked the radiation therapists into giving him an 8 a.m. radiation appointment so he could be home before noon on Christmas Eve.  I think he regretted that decision a few times, knowing how early he would have to get up to be there on time.  But he made it.

 But he was really tired.
Shaun and Brendan headed straight home and the other kids and I packed up and met them in Brigham City.  There Rachel saw her dad for the first time since September.
 We enjoyed breakfast together, then headed home.


 Salt Lake weather was nice, but Cache Valley was blustery and cold.
 Good thing we took the "big" car because there was a lot to pack home.
 The kids enjoyed a game together, while I pumped about 600 ml of food into Brendan for an afternoon "snack."  As he has been able to keep more food down, he is stronger and has more energy.

As we came home today, my heart has been so full of gratitude for the gift of being home -- and being all together.  I hardly dared believe this would happen.  My prayers are for all those families still in the hospital.   What an incredible gift we've been given -- Heavenly Father's plan for families.  The plan that we can be together forever.  Nothing is sweeter.  
One of our most lasting traditions has been the annual viewing of "Muppets Christmas Carol."  Tonight the kids all joined in singing, "Bless Us All."  A family favorite that sums it all up.
Tonight Brendan wanted to record a message and share it with everyone.  Thank you for everything!
Have a very Merry Christmas!

5 comments:

  1. Merry Christmas to the wonderful Peck family. "God bless us everyone!"

    ReplyDelete
  2. Merry Christmas! Glad to see you all home for Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You don't know me well; in fact I think Sarah is the only one who may know me. I stumbled across this blog early Nov due to a post on IG that Sarah posted about playing Monopoly with Brendan in the hospital. I know Sarah from Girl' State in 2011. We were in Dern City together. I look forward to reading the updates every morning when I come into work, and love how inspiring your sweet family is. Your posts are real, and so touching every day. I've wanted to comment so many times, but didn't think my comments would mean much. But I couldn't hold back today.
    I've been married for about 9 months so this Christmas was mine and my husband's first as a married couple. As a wife, I wanted to make it special and start some family traditions; unfortunately, not too many were started this year; maybe next year. Anyway, since Christmas has come and gone, I've been pondering what I can do more next year to have Christmas focused and centered on Christ instead of about the gifts and "gah" of presents. The video of the Muppets you shared was an answer to my prayers and many hours of thought. I've never seen it, but I felt so impressed to make that a tradition. What a sweet message that song gives. I have many friends who are going through the unthinkable this year, and I cannot help but feel so blessed to be with family and friends during the holidays. Thank you, thank you, thank you for starting this blog. And for updating every day. I'm sure writing is therapeutic to you, but I believe it's more beneficial for those who read it and get inspired daily by the words you share.
    KyLee (Morse) McAllister

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. KyLee, I have thought a lot about your comments over the past weeks and appreciate you taking the time to reach out and share your thoughts. Thanks for sharing.

      Delete