Tomorrow will mark the longest number of consecutive days - 5 - that Brendan has been home since he was diagnosed in October. The last time he was home for 4 days straight was over Thanksgiving weekend. All other weekends home have been either 1 or 2 days and only once (on Christmas) was it 3 days. It is definitely something to celebrate!
Brendan was invited to Chris and Kristen's house today while I went to the dentist. Brendan was so excited that he could hardly sleep. He was up early and anxious to get going.Kristen fixed an old favorite of Brendan's. It took Brendan about 20 minutes of pushing his noodles around his plate before he finally put 3 noodles in his mouth. (The picture below -- just kidding -- it took another 10 minutes before he actually chewed and swallowed.) He never did finish what was on his plate. But he's working at it.
Thursday blood draws.
Today I finally got up the courage to unpack. It is just unnerving to think of having to head to the hospital in a hurry and not have the things I need. (I've been there before and don't want to be caught short again.)
Brendan is taking being home in stride. He enjoys every minute and has more energy than ever. I, on the other hand, have been an emotional roller coaster. Monday I was giddy. Literally laughing at all the possibilities ahead of me for two weeks. By Monday night I was melancholy and "coming down" and all Tuesday and Wednesday I was a sobbing mess. In the three months since this "adventure" began, I have been busy, pushing, struggling through every single day and haven't had time to sit still and think about what has happened and how life has changed.
Well, sitting on the couch, folding laundry, and watching the deer search for food in the orchard gave me just enough time and quiet to start processing what we have been through. I've remembered the good, the hard, the uplifting, the scary. And I was finally able to grieve. To give up the old life that I don't even remember now, and look ahead to the new life we are living.
It feels good to get past the sprint and settle into the marathon pace.






Love you, Kerry! I am trying to live as grateful and gracious as you are. Thank you for the blog to keep us close when we live so far away.
ReplyDeleteKim
Kerry you are a world class sprinter!
ReplyDeletethe slow, quiet times are always the hardest.
ReplyDeleteI'm glad you were able to really grieve and take that time for yourself! You must have really needed it! Love you guys :)
ReplyDelete