Thursday, January 21, 2016

As usual. . .

Kerry:  After ten days of being home, some things are getting to be "life as usual".  It's kind of nice having a little bit of a routine.

Blood draws this morning -- early -- (yes, I remembered to put the EMLA (numbing) cream on his port 30 minutes before draws this time. Brendan was happy about that.)  But he didn't like getting out of bed.  NOT happy about that.  He stayed up late reading the end of his exciting book and had a hard time waking up this morning.  His low blood counts probably had something to do with being tired as well. 

 Brendan's ANC (absolute neutrophil count --one of the white blood cell counts) was down to 700 this morning.  (1600 a week ago, 900 on Monday-- normal is above 1500 -- 500 is dangerously low).  The hospital here (where the blood work was done) called the nurse to let him know that Brendan's counts were critically low.  But a few hours later Primary Children's called and they weren't near as concerned about his low numbers.  (I think it's different when you expect the counts to be down than when you don't understand why they are down).   Everything else, (sodium, hematocrit, platelets, etc.) are all in the normal range.

More blood work will have to be done on Sunday afternoon so his numbers can be checked before we go for chemo on Monday.  If his ANC is below 750 we will have to delay chemo.  But we suspect his counts will be back up by then.  This evening, he is already getting more color back in his face.
 Brendan:  My hearing is driving me crazy.  I can't hear half of what is being said.  It's not too bad in the mornings, but as it gets later at night the ringing gets louder in my ears. The whine in my ears is obnoxious.  I hear it in both ears, but it seems to be more in my right one.   I would totally go for hearing aids if it would help.

Homework isn't fun.  Unless I'm practicing my ukulele.  Then I like it.  I wish I could go to school, but I don't mind not having homework.  My online math is pretty easy.  I just hate the long problems that take forever to finish.

The last round of chemo didn't go very well.  Hopefully this next round will go smoother.  (At least no seizures!)  It's really depressing having to go back to the hospital.  I'm not too worried about the nausea since last time the chemo didn't make me very nauseous.  
Eating has been about the same as usual, though I am eating a bit more -- and eating more willingly.  Ramen noodles I can get down pretty well.  I don't expect much taste (since they are ramen noodles) and the noodles are soft.  I also like tortilla chips, but since my spit doesn't help much it takes lots of chewing.  So far, nothing really is tasting better.

4 comments:

  1. Yep, Brendan, I have a hiss in my ears that is constant and is louder at night than in the morning. Annoying!!! But I eventually got use to it. What is really annoying is people or movies dropping their voice right at the "punch line". I feel your pain, but people are very kind to repeat what they said and face me so I can see what they are saying. I am so glad we live where we can have access to aids that help. God bless America!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Brendan,
    I can relate to the ringing in my ears. It leaves you up late at nights and intensifies and weakens sporadically. I usually have to ask people with higher pitched voices to repeat what they say. I can't say you get used to it easily. It's part of my life, but when it intensifies or "spikes" it can sometimes be annoying. Regardless, our lives go on as usual. Your in my prayers constantly,
    I love ya Bro.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for taking the time to write.

    ReplyDelete