Today we came full circle. Brendan's attending doctor and fellow came to talk to me. They purposely avoided taking me to the small conference room where we've had hard conversations before and instead, took me to the treatment room where we could talk privately. There, they told me the pathology reports of Brendan's bone showed that the esthesioneuroblastoma cancer cells were found in his bone sample. That caught all of us by surprise. Experienced doctors -- the best at what they do -- all thought (and communicated to us) that it did not look like cancer. (Well, at least now we know why Brendan's leg is hurting so badly.)
Maybe in a later post I will have the words to describe how the world crashing down around you sounds and feels. But I don't have those words today.
My biggest and immediate concern was how to tell Brendan and how to break the news to Shaun. Not sure I could keep my composure with Brendan, they gave me a few minutes to gather myself, then we all went to the room together to talk to Brendan. Dr. Fluchel gave Brendan the news in a way that only a doctor who loves working with kids could."Drat," Brendan said. "Drat! How could it be? Everything was pointing away from cancer."
Brendan has handled this all amazingly well. He joked with the doctors. He asked thoughtful questions. Then later, he yelled into his pillow. "Why me?" he asked. "What did I do to deserve this!"
The rest of the day we spent forgetting. We watched "Hotel Transylvania 2." Brendan practiced using the walker.
That you'll grow old with me and I'll grow old with you
We thank the earth, sea, the sky we thank too
I lava you
I lava you
I lava you
Today I beat Brendan at foosball. (Ok, so maybe I had an advantage since he was stuck in his wheelchair.)
Then we went for a walk in the hope garden. They were just planting flowers and setting out the fairy houses.
We checked out everything in the playroom that interested Brendan and enjoyed just being out of the room for awhile. I was impressed with how well Brendan was holding up and how well his pain was being managed.
Tonight Grandma Swan came to visit, as well as friends and hospital-mates, Jeni and Henry. It's so nice to be surrounded by good friends and family. Thanks to everyone for the messages today of love and hope.
Now, we've reached full circle. We have another cancer diagnosis and an appointment for radiation on Tuesday. Only this time we have much fewer options. Since the cancer grew while Brendan was on treatment, we don't know what will work against this cancer. The radiation can kill the cells on Brendan's hip and give Brendan some pain relief, but since now we know the cancer can move, we don't know where else it may show up. And all those spots on his bone scans? The experts just said they were bone infarcts. But since they also thought the lesion on his femur was a bone infarct, we don't know how widespread this really is.
With so many unknowns, I've had to rely more and more on my Heavenly Father today. And he's been there to lift and support me. The fear is gone and I know we can make it through this next challenge the same way we've made it through up until now -- with lots of faith and prayer.
(If Brendan's pain stays controlled overnight, we may be able to come home tomorrow. )







A difficult post tonight :-( Well done....again.
ReplyDeleteI've never met you in person, but I am a Hadfield. My brother-in-law works with your husband, and my daughter, Amelia, goes to school with Brendan. I know my comments won't take away any of your pain, but I just wanted you to know Brendan and your family are in our thoughts and prayers everyday. Thank you for keeping us updated even when it's not easy.
ReplyDeleteLove you Kerry. So difficult to read your post. You and your family are in our thoughts and prayers as always
ReplyDeleteWe've been praying for you. Know that we love your family and the amazing examples you are. Brendan is an amazing kid who has always had a special place in my heart. We will keep adding our prayers and faith.
ReplyDeleteThinking and praying for you Brendan. You are so very special. God's purpose for you is not ours to know but I too can't help but ask why and wish things were different. XOXO
ReplyDeleteAs I sit here and feel the tears flow freely down my face I am reminded of the promise that all will be made whole. I am grateful for the growth that can only come through pain such as this...
ReplyDeleteLove you guys! Brendan, you are a special person indeed, and VERY loved!
ReplyDeleteWe have never personally met, but my parents are in your ward and I have been following your story from the beginning so In some strange way I feel like we have met. I am so sad to hear this news. My heart breaks for Brendan and your family as I read this latest update. Just wanted you to know that I am so amazed by your faith and strength. I pray that our loving Heavenly Father will wrap his arms around you at this time. Sending thoughts and prayers your way.
ReplyDeleteJodie (Fenton) Selph
We love you! We are praying for you! As I sat in a puddle after reading this post I am strengthened in the hope and comfort that Christ brings. I am praying for you all this morning. Praying for strength, comfort, inspirational knowledge for those treating Charlie, pain management and peace. Kerry, you are my hero as are Charlie and Shaun. Your testimony shines through and strengthens me.
ReplyDeleteAs we are headed through the cancer journey as well, I just want you to know you guys have been and will continue to be a source of strength for us. Your positivity has taught me how to be positive and have hope. This road is hard with so many ups and downs. We are here for you guys.
ReplyDeleteWords can't even begin to describe how sorry we are. I keep thinking of the primary song A Child's Prayer. I know his love will surround you all and he will hear your prayers.
ReplyDeleteYou have been in our thoughts and prayers continually. Everyone said it so much better than I can here in these comments, and so I echo their words, and please know we love you, Brendan, Shaun and your wonderful family so much.
ReplyDeleteMy heart aches for you, Charlie and the entire family. Thinking and praying for you guys. I hope today is a little brighter. Big hugs.
ReplyDeleteHi Cousin,
ReplyDeleteI prayed before reading your post that Brendan's test would show something better. I know how much you have prayed for this to be over. It's hard to find the right words to say but I am going to try.
Remember when you transcribed Grandpa Bateman's words just in time for Gary's funeral? That was a part of an amazing puzzle that has given me strength through trials. The timing was miraculous to me that my Mom had left that task to someone else to type (which ended up being Dale's (one of my favorites :) ) daughter. To be able to read this miraculous faith promoting story, as we were meeting to say goodbye to another dear cousin, was so comforting.
I know as we "enter into the rest of the Lord" we will be prepared to allow His healing in our spirits. You have been the most amazing mother through this experience. You have shared your experience in a way that gives others so much hope. It is such an honor to know you and peek into the experiences you are having. I marvel at how much strength you have together as a family. We trust the Lord that these experiences will be for our good in the end.
A friend posted on Facebook that she loathed cancer. I don't. Cancer is just a means to teach.
It gives us time to do and say the things that can bring us closer. Heaven is so close. Our ancestors are cheering us on. They know that we will all be with them soon. Grandpa, Grandma Ella, Millie,
are all with us and I know Aunt June is especially excited for all of us. I love you, Kerry and pray for
you to have all a mother needs at this time. Happy Mother's Day to a beautiful woman!
Love,
Joyce
Drat, indeed. Praying for all of you. Julie and Doug Banks
ReplyDeleteThanks Kerry for keeping us posted! This is so hard and sad to hear and I bet so hard for you to write! I can't imagine what you are going through and Brendan but your guys faith and strength is amazing and contagious and we are all praying and thinking about you constantly! Love you so much!
ReplyDeleteIt was so hard to read this blog. We want you to know that Brendan and your family are in our thoughts and prayers.
ReplyDeleteWe pray for sweet Brendan morning, noon and night. We pray for your whole family. Thank you for your sweet testimony and example. My daughter is a friend of Brendan but our whole family's hearts are tied to that sweet boy. Love and prayers to you.
ReplyDeleteI am so sorry to hear this. Praying for Brendan, all of you who love him and all who are caring for him.
ReplyDeleteKerry - You are truly super mom! And Brenden is our lil real life super hero! Your strength, and bravery is beyond inspirational! We absolutely love and adore your family. We pray for you all in our daily prayers! Thank you for these sometimes, painful posts. You have a rally of troops behind you all! I wish we could do something to help and heal!! Just know you have all helped build our testimonies, and continue to! Keep fighting Charlie!!! Xoxo The Lovelands
ReplyDelete