Thursday, April 7, 2016

This is Going to Be the Best Day of My Life!

For the past several months it has been difficult to get Brendan out of bed in the mornings.  He has had nothing to get up for.  So I was a bit surprised to see him out of bed by 8 a.m. this morning and bugging Sarah until she woke up.  
 Brendan was so excited for school that he could hardly sit still.  I finally had him clean out his school binder and backpack (which hadn't been opened since leaving school suddenly last Oct. 6th).
 His last (hopefully) box of feeding supplies arrived.  He is trying new foods every day now, so they might take his feeding tube out at his next clinic visit.  I only ordered a two week supply this time.
 Sarah took Brendan outside to get his "Back to School" picture taken.  Pretty funny to have one taken in April.
 Dropping Brendan off at school was good and hard at the same time.  He had no problem being away from me for a few hours, but I was rather nervous about leaving him.  I was a little anxious all morning long.  But once he was in class and I had updated his medical records, it was time for me to leave.  It was a pretty strange feeling walking out of the building (or being anywhere) alone.
 Brendan:  I had a pretty good day at school today.  I saw my friends at lunch and they filled me in on what's been happening.  We laughed and talked.  I had a great time.  Class was a little less interesting because they were trying to get me into the system (to test), but they didn't have me in so I will start tomorrow.  My class, as a welcome back gift, gave me this cool poster.  Today I just felt truly happy!  All the times I was home and feeling good, just doesn't compare to this!  I didn't realize I was missing something.   Everyone was really friendly and acted normal around me.  
 When I picked Brendan up two hours later, he was the happiest I think I have ever seen him.  He just bounced along and when he heard the song, "This is Going to be the Best Day of My Life," he said that's what we were going to title the blog tonight.

 When we got home, Brendan wanted a bowl of cold cereal and milk.  What?  That's a new one.  He also tried a granola bar.  Things are changing fast now.
Brendan:  Tonight I went to the park to watch Aaron's soccer practice.  While I was there I saw two friends from school.  We just talked and caught up on things and it was fun!  I also kicked around the soccer ball and threw a football around with dad.  My port got pretty sore because I have done a lot today.  (When I move my arm around a lot the muscles in my chest get sore where my port is.)  

Then, near the playground, there were some little kids on the tire swing and I offered to give them a big push.  They were all staring at my feeding tube.  Then they said, "Yeah."  One of them asked, "What's that owee on your nose?"  I explained to them that it was my feeding tube and that it is a tube that goes up my nose and into my stomach.  I'm not sure they got what I meant.  But I gave them a big push on the swing before I had to go. It was kind of funny.  

This whole experience of getting Brendan back into school has been amazing -- and fast.  I had heard so many stories from other cancer moms about how hard the transition was, and how difficult the schools were to work with, and how insensitive other kids could be, that I have been so overwhelmed with gratitude for the kind students, the incredible staff at Spring Creek, and the smooth transition from hospital--to home--to school.   Brendan's smile just says it all -- This has been one of the best days of his life!

If you want the song stuck in your head, here's the link -- sung by one of our favorite Voice Male singers, Mike Bearden:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-BwRVlv0K_U

2 comments:

  1. LOVE this! My heart smiles everytime I see Charlie getting better, stronger and happier!! So happy for good days!!!! Thank you so much for sharing!! ❤

    ReplyDelete