Tuesday, June 14, 2016

A Down Day with a Happy Ending

Today, Brendan only made it out of bed a few times, for relatively short periods of time.  I was getting a little frustrated since he wouldn't get up to shower, he wouldn't finish the Make-A-Wish art project I wanted to get in the mail, and he only wanted to eat what he couldn't have -- (he has to eat high protein/ low carb today in preparation for his PET scan tomorrow.)  He just moped around, waiting for his dad to bring the books from the library he asked for.
 In Brendan's defense, he was in quite a bit of pain today.  He felt better just holding still. Thank goodness Brennan, Charlie's cousin (I finally call Brendan "Charlie" when Brennan's around :) came to play a Wii game for an hour.  Then Charlie was more than happy to get out of bed to play with his cousin.

Tonight, Jeanne and Tony Fenton came by with quite a surprise for Brendan.  A football signed by Tanner Mangum, one of the quarterbacks for BYU.  That brought a smile to Brendan's face!
 Then another surprise!  Custom shoes made by SoulKix (SoulKix.com) that were signed by Ty Detmer.  Whoa!
 Brendan wasn't the only one surprised. . .
  Lindsay thought it was pretty cool too!

I'm amazed and grateful once again for all of the great people who will do kind things for others.  Those who are willing to take their time and go out of their way to do such nice things for Brendan.  It is so appreciated.
 Not near as exciting as footballs and shoes, I thought it was pretty cool that this was the last dose of Septra Brendan will have to take.  (Septra is given to ICS kids twice a day, two days a week in order to drastically reduce the incidence of a deadly pneumonia the kids are susceptible to.  They take it during treatment and for three months post treatment.)  Well, here we are!
As I reflect on the day, I realize that having a down day just before an Oncology Clinic appointment and scans isn't unusual.  I always think it is going to be just a quiet, relaxing day, but the tension just kind of creeps in and without realizing it, we are all just a bit edgy.  We are sure to get the MIBG scan  results tomorrow. Hopefully, they will have the PET scan results in time for our Clinic appointment as well.  In between the scans and meeting with the doctors, Brendan has his eye checkup at the Moran Eye Center.  I think we'll have one tired kid on the way home tomorrow.  (And our overnight bag IS packed -- as always -- just in case plans change.)

5 comments:

  1. Our thoughts are prayers are with you all for tomorrow!!! Xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. We love you and we pray for you every day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. AaAaauuugghhh!!! Ty & Tanner?! Really?! I was just explaining to the Young Kids what the word "covet your neighbor's stuff" meant. I am doomed!
    We pray all goes well tomorrow & that your hearts & souls will be peaceful. "Safe Journey" as they say in Africa.

    ReplyDelete
  4. How wonderful for those sweet gifts of tangible love. Love and prayers go with you tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete