Tuesday, June 21, 2016

No News is Good News, Right?

Well, I was just beginning to write that we hadn't heard a word from Brendan or anyone from camp, but I just got a call from one of the doctors.  She said that Brendan was doing great and seemed to be enjoying himself very much.  He napped in the "med shack" (medical cabin) and was eating -- she said they discovered he liked the taco shells from "taco night" with melted cheese on them.  (I knew what she was going to say because I know how much Brendan likes tortilla chips with melted cheese :)

What she was calling about, though, was to tell us that he was a little pale and tired, and they thought he could benefit from a blood transfusion.  They will also check his platelets, since he has had some bleeding from his nose, and some blood in his stool.  When they talked to Brendan about it, he was concerned that he would miss the activities tomorrow morning.  But the doctor has to run to Primary's anyway in the morning and can take him for a transfusion and then bring him back to camp in the afternoon.  How's that for service?!

I just got another call and was told that Brendan agreed to go for blood.  They will go early, so they can be back early afternoon.  One of the nurses (who also works in the oncology clinic) will go with Brendan to spend the day with him.  They basically told us that we weren't needed.  And it didn't sound like Brendan needed me -- (I'm not quite sure how to take that :)  Just kidding.  After 8 months of constant care, I'm so glad Brendan is doing something on his own and enjoying it.

The biggest question I've been asked today is, "How are YOU doing?"  Actually, I'm doing great -- well, pretty good.  I woke up this morning worrying about Brendan's feeding pump alarm going off and waking up all the kids in the cabin.  I also worried that he wouldn't be able to get unhooked from his feeding tube by himself in time to get to the bathroom during the night.  (You know, if you eat all night, you have to go to the bathroom too!)  But, by the time the sun came up and there was still no call from camp, I figured things were going well -- or at least, well enough.  Brendan's toughest moments are always first thing in the morning, so if he made it past his first morning, then he should be good!  And it didn't sound like he wants to come home -- he just wanted to make it back to camp for the activities.  Good news!

While Brendan is gone, and pictures from camp haven't been posted on the Facebook page yet, I'll catch you up on some other news:

Yesterday, the thank you letter from Primary Children's came that was mailed out to those who donated during the telethon.   In April, Brendan was asked by the development officer of the PCH Foundation to write a letter on their behalf to all of the donors.  They were expecting to send out more than a thousand between the telethon and another fundraiser being held in Southern Idaho.   Here is the letter he wrote and how they put it together with some pictures I sent them:


Another fun thing we received yesterday was the painting of Brendan by Mike Malm.  Mike does amazing work and we are so grateful that his talent could preserve this memory of Brendan.  (Check out some of our other favorite paintings by Mike -- some have our other children as models - http://www.mikemalm.com/archive-1/)
I'm so grateful Brendan is having this great camp experience.  Hopefully, Landon is having a good time as well.  (They didn't bother to update me about how he is doing.)  I'll write tomorrow about Brendan's blood counts, transfusion, and what I hear about camp.

3 comments:

  1. I'm writing from PCMC. I'm here with our grandchildren. I took a walk this afternoon to the playroom and saw for myself the air hockey table you donated. I thought it was the nicest thing in the playroom which is filled with great things.
    This is quite a place. Even though there is struggle, hardship, pain and sorrow here, the love of so many, tempers all that. Our granddaughter Maddie, had a pic line placed today with only local anesthetic because her lung function was too low to have her put out. During the procedure she was serenaded by two musicians and fed gummy worms by a nurse who stood by her bed and responded to Maddie saying, 'chirp' whenever she felt she needed a gummy worm. The scene was classic PCMC.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I admire your courage and strength.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this portrait. It captures the love in his eyes.

    ReplyDelete