Sunday, June 5, 2016

Moments That Matter

A friend picked up Landon's yearbook from school and brought it to him when we returned from Florida.  I flipped through the pages one afternoon and enjoyed seeing the kids and activities from the year.  I read comments from the some of the kids and one of them really stuck in my head.  It said something like, "Life is long.  Why not waste a few years."  I haven't been able to get it out of my head.  I know when I was that age life seemed like a road stretching forever into the future with no end in sight.  I get it.  But oh, how I realize now that every moment is precious and needs to be savored.  
 Today we enjoyed a day in the park after little Elizabeth was blessed.  Brendan felt well enough to go and enjoyed his time with family.
 Not knowing from day to day, and sometimes hour to hour, how Brendan will feel, we are so grateful  for good moments when Brendan is up and about.  He's had a lot more of those moments the last few days and we relish that time.
Brendan will be up for awhile, then he's tired and ready to lie down again.  This afternoon, he was up and played a game at the table.  Later, he pitched in his two cents with words for the game from his spot on the floor, while the others played at the table.  We love when he has enough energy to participate in the games and conversations.


 He didn't want to go on our weekly Sunday walk today, but enjoyed staying home and talking with his cousin, Nathan, instead.
I guess it takes facing an unknown future -- when that road ahead doesn't stretch out infinitely long -- before moments take on more meaning and become so precious.  There is definitely no time to waste.

1 comment:

  1. I read an article once that said that it is death that makes agency effective. Because our time is limited we are forced to decide what we value and how we spend our time. Our choices then show what we value, who we liove, and who we choose to serve. Repentance and growth become precious choices with urgency prodding us in their direction. Time is a precious gift from our Father in Heaven. Thanks for showing us such good ways to use it and treasure each moment. Your traditional family Sunday walk is such a choice and when joining the group isn't an option a visit with a cousin makes the moments glow.

    ReplyDelete