
A few months ago, a friend confided to me some struggles they were having in their family. No one knew, and they weren’t going to tell. We discussed how distressing the situation was, but no one was bringing in dinners or sending notes of encouragement or offering to give service to help the family through the tough time. Of course, no one knew . . .
Seeing others struggles, feeling others pain, and understanding others in a way I never knew could be possible is one of the unforeseen benefits of going through these trials. I didn’t even know what I didn’t know before all of this began.
For the last 8 months we have lived a challenge that is very visible to others. Countless prayers have been said in our behalf, many meals prepared, and much service rendered. Untold kindnesses have helped us through the tough times. All the while, many others have children struggling with addiction, family members with mental illness, or private personal physical challenges they have chosen not to share publicly. So, to the outward eye, they look like fine, functioning families. But there are many sorrows that the eye can’t see.
When Brendan’s bone biopsy results showed metastasized bone cancer, Cathy, a dear friend, came to visit. She had lost her little one to cancer 2 years ago. She knew, she understood, she could empathize. But she still had no words to say — she just understood and gave me a hug. We compared experiences. We talked about how many people want to help, but don’t know what to do. (I was glad to hear that even she wouldn’t know what to tell people who asked what she needed-- I thought it was just me!) She taught me that when others follow the promptings of the Spirit, they know what to do and we are benefitted by their service. So, when asked, she always told people, “Just follow the Spirit.”
Well, sometimes we feel prompted to do something for others, but we think they don’t need anything. Think again. There may be something they need that we aren’t aware of — sorrows that the eye can’t see. I know I’m going to try harder to “see” the needs of others. But even more than seeing — I hope to act when I “feel” someone needs something I can give.
The majority of Brendan's day was spent like this. A lot of pain. A lot of sleeping.The last few hours of the day (when we celebrated half-birthdays for Kristen and Loren - because they always get short-changed in December) Brendan was willing to get up for a little bit.
How many of your kids give you this look when you offer them ice cream? That's what I thought. . .
Ever since Brendan beat the occupational therapist and Sarah and I at Blokus after his brain surgery, he has loved this game.
Yep, he beat everyone again tonight.
Since coming home from camp, Brendan has been weak and tired and sore. New spots of pain are popping up in his bones. Mostly he copes by just holding still. Occasionally, he feels well enough to get up and move. Here is what climbing the stairs looks like. He got half way up these stairs and laughingly said, "Now why did I attempt this?"
It's so hard to see his frustration and pain. It's so wonderful to see his smile and moments of joy. I've especially appreciated the time his siblings have spent keeping him company, rubbing his feet, and trying to make him comfortable and included in what is going on. They are amazing and have also learned a lot on this journey.





Today I fasted for a couple of reasons...1. That Brendan's pain may be relieved. Perhaps he is not suppose to be cured (I am still holding out for that miracle) but at least our fasting, faith and prayers can be a power to lessen his pain. Whether by radiation or divine intervention I hope our prayers my be answered with a blessing of comfort and lack of suffering for him.
ReplyDeleteSending prayers of love and comfort! Sure love this sweet young man! His strength amazes me. I love that you brought that line of a beautiful song to the forefront for me. I usually just sing past it. I can now sing it with a new thought and determination to follow promptings to offer love and support for the sorrows not seen. Thank you!
ReplyDeleteWell said, Kerry. I came to the same conclusions when I saw a lady wearing a scarf over her head, to protect it and hide the effects of chemotherapy. I thought to myself: "I know what you're going through." Then I thought of how many people have said to me: "Wow! You don't look like you have cancer!" I then understood how often we walk by without seeing anything amiss in other people's lives.
ReplyDeleteYes, act on the prompting, even though there is no logical reason to do so. The Lord knows what can help.
Long hours of prayers for you all.
I love that quote and your message. It's always a good reminder when we get caught up in the whirlwind of our own lives. Thank you for sharing. Looking forward to spending time with your family.
ReplyDelete