Saturday, June 18, 2016

Words Come Hard

Saturday, June 18, 2016
Words come hard tonight.  My mind is full, my heart is overflowing, but the words do not come easy.  
Charlie and his cousins!  We finally got a smile today.
 We had the privilege today to welcome Elder Bryan R. Larsen (area seventy of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints) into our home to visit, along with our stake president.  As Elder Larsen talked to us about the things going on in our lives, I was grateful that he spoke to each of our children and asked them what they had learned from this experience with Brendan.  It was wonderful and gratifying to hear how it had strengthened each of their testimonies of the Savior and of the plan of salvation, and of the truth that families can be together forever.  Lastly, Elder Larsen asked Brendan about his experience.  Brendan thoughtfully replied, "While cancer has ravaged my body, this experience has strengthened my soul."

Before leaving, Elder Larsen was able to give Brendan a priesthood blessing.  We felt the spirit strongly as Brendan was blessed.  Words of comfort were given, answers to prayers came, and a promise of relief from pain came as we felt the power of God.
Today it was noteworthy to see Brendan out of bed.  So we snapped a picture.
I've contemplated much, lately, about life and death and the role it plays in our lives and the lives of those around us.  Death sometimes comes quickly and unexpectedly, (as I saw happen to this 11 year old when we spent a week in PICU -- see https://www.ksl.com/?sid=38753478&nid=148.  I was able to visit with this family and feel of their testimony and faith and it impacted me in a life changing way).

Seeing how quickly life can change, I'm grateful we have been given a beautiful gift -- a gift of time.  A chance to spend more time together, love these moments and each other more, and create lasting memories.  But whether death comes unexpectedly or extra time is gifted, I know that Heavenly Father is in the details of our lives and orchestrates the comings and goings of us all.

Several weeks ago, Brendan was able to receive his Patriarchal Blessing.  Eternity expanded our view and I understood more than ever, that this life and the next are seamlessly connected.  There is not a stop and a start, a bump, or a pause.  Just a flowing interconnectedness between our missions here and our missions there.  The work here and the work there are the same.  God's purposes -- "to bring to pass the immortality and eternal life of man" (https://www.lds.org/scriptures/pgp/moses/1.39?lang=eng#38) continue on both sides of the veil.  What a beautiful plan!

4 comments:

  1. Kerry, your testimony touches me to the very recesses of my soul. Those of us who are lucky enough to read your beautiful words are challenged each day to look inside ourselves and decide who we are and who we want to be. Thank you for giving me this gift. We pray for you every day. Brendan we love you and we are so proud of you.




    ReplyDelete
  2. I work with Elder (Dr) Larsen on a daily basis and he is truly amazing. So glad he got to meet your family. Our prayers continue for you every day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Charlie I like your hair...! First look at your hair, then look at mine. I wish I had your hair!!! Love you Charlie see ya!;)
    -Brennen

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for your testimony Kerry. About four years ago your husband took a chance on hiring my husband into his Law Firm. It was a blessing and an answer to many prayers. Since then I have been amazed at the love and concern that has been shown from Shaun to our family. I am so thankful for your family and you guys are continuously in our prayers. I am always at a loss of what to do or say during this difficult time, but I do want you to know that there is much praying and fasting coming from our family. We are amazed at your strength and we can only hope to have a family as strong as you are. There is a special light in Brendan's eyes, and he is a blessed boy to have been given so much love throughout his life. We love you guys, and pray the spirit will comfort you at this time.

    ReplyDelete